Oil pan blues

-

z_daddy

z_daddy
Reaction score
Ok here it goes the gasket kit I bought for my 273 engine came with a lot of gaskets !!! My oil pan collar has slots in it both ends ok , now the gasket kit has two different type of robber gaskets for the pan inc the cork for the sides ( length ) of pan , Now when I took the pan off it had both gaskets on it !!!! So I'm not sure what to use , the rubber with the nipples or the solid one with a 1/2 collar on it !! Need advise on what to do here thanks

The older oil pans from the 60's take a different end gasket. The early ones had 5-6 nipples/tits on it, the new ones only has two nipples/tits. You have to get the right end gaskets.

Then use the right end gasket with the two cork straight ones. Put some RTV in the cornere where the gaskets meet.

The older oil pans from the 60's take a different end gasket. The early ones had 5-6 nipples/tits on it, the new ones only has two nipples/tits. You have to get the right end gaskets.

Then use the right end gasket with the two cork straight ones. Put some RTV in the cornere where the gaskets meet.

Someone must of had the pan off before I hit this car , so if the pan has the slots use gasket with the tits rt? / just wasn't sure cause it has the other one on it with the 1/2 " lip around it ok thanks ( just dnt want any leaks )

Someone must of had the pan off before I hit this car , so if the pan has the slots use gasket with the tits rt? / just wasn't sure cause it has the other one on it with the 1/2 " lip around it ok thanks ( just dnt want any leaks )

Yes, there is a special gasket with nipples that you pull through the slots. You have to order an oil pan gasket kit for a 68 or earlier 273/318 engine. I'm not sure if they still had them in 69.

You need to use a rubber gasket on each of the round parts of the pan, and then the flat cork one for the long part. Put some RTV/Silicone sealant on the corners where the two gaskets meet.

When tightening the pan, do not torque the bolts. You will split the cork gaskets. Just snug the bolts until you start to see the flat cork gasket just start to swell/squeeze near the bolt and then stop. Begin in the center and work your way from side to side from the center outward in each direction. After you tighten the last one, go back for one finish/final snug on all of the bolts again, just seeing the gasket squeeze and then stop.

Yep that's what it looks like !!! Not sure why previous owner used different gasket with collar on it though thanks for the info

He probably didn't know better and just used whatever gasket the parts guy gave him... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Yes, go get one for a 64-68 273, or 68 273/318/340 - they all take the same gasket, and make sure that the rubber end gaskets have nipple for each hole (6 total).

-
Back