Oil pan clearance?

-

73440abody

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've come to the point where I'm ready to purchase a oil pan for my motor and need advice on what I can fit. The car is 73 duster with a big block k member. Putting a 440 in. Motor will make 600+ hp. Any advice would help greatly.

Hey guys, I've come to the point where I'm ready to purchase a oil pan for my motor and need advice on what I can fit. The car is 73 duster with a big block k member. Putting a 440 in. Motor will make 600+ hp. Any advice would help greatly.

your pretty limited to a center sump pan w/ that k member. milodon , or a copy .

If it hangs below the K on a streeter, I believe a skid-plate will save you hours of repairs. You may never need it, but the one time you do,and it's not there? You will be kicking yourself for days.
Mine is all scratched up, and it ain't from off-roading.

I have the Milidon Road Race pan on my 710 hp @ 5500rpm, 493" RB motor in 1970 E-Body. It's a very nice pan. It sits even with the bottom of the K-member. It did require a small notch on the rear lip of the K-member's passenger side, but so did the Milidon pan on my '68 A-Body. It took about 3 minutes to notch it with a hack saw.

What you really are going to have issues with is traction. Nitto Drag Radials make mine safe to drive on the street.

Hello I am having clearance issues with the oil pan. 1966 Dart 273. Do they make a replacement low profile pan?

.................so I don't know what that difference is...............
maybe .............
1690118141758.png

Im using a 402 pan with factory windage tray. Fits the spool type slant six k frame with very little room to spare, but it fits. I’m thinking about going with something that holds 6 qts vs the 4 the factory pans hood.

Last edited:
I
Im using a 402 pan with factory windage tray. Fits the spool type slant six k frame with very little room to spare, but it fits. I’m thinking about going with something that holds 6 qts vs the 4 the factory pans hood.
I`m using a slightly reworked 9 qt. dragster pan ...

MY GTS has a reproduction 66-69 HEMI pan. It will make way over 800 fwhp on a 150 shot and no issues with oil pressure.

If you box the k member or run a QA1tube k there is plenty of room to run a 7 qt Milodon road race pan. If you are going to beat on it and don't mind the extra work run a motor plate. Biscuit mounts suck and you will end up making other modifications to keep things squared up either way.

20230727_112303.jpg

I ended up with a 971 pan modified into 7 quarts. I traded to 402 pan for it straight up.

I believe a full right turn may try to add idler clearance to your pan in a Abody.....
1692730746356.png

1692731200506.png

If you are installing the engine and trans as an assembly from the top, you may find that it's a pretty tight fit from the pan bucket front to bell conflicting with the firewall to k-member.

I believe a full right turn may try to add idler clearance to your pan in a Abody.....
View attachment 1716131629

View attachment 1716131631

If you are installing the engine and trans as an assembly from the top, you may find that it's a pretty tight fit from the pan bucket front to bell conflicting with the firewall to k-member.
That’s good to know,thank you. What year front suspension do you have? 67-72 or 73-76?

MY GTS has a reproduction 66-69 HEMI pan. It will make way over 800 fwhp on a 150 shot and no issues with oil pressure.

If you box the k member or run a QA1tube k there is plenty of room to run a 7 qt Milodon road race pan. If you are going to beat on it and don't mind the extra work run a motor plate. Biscuit mounts suck and you will end up making other modifications to keep things squared up either way.

View attachment 1716131544
no room for a widened road race pan 0n mine w/ victor heads = tti headers

Using a motor plate everything fit pretty darn good with the Milodon 31581 pan and 2-1/8" stepped TTI SR-218's. The qa1 k made it much easier to work on the engine which is a Victor headed 511" low deck.

no room for a widened road race pan 0n mine w/ victor heads = tti headers

I definitely would not use anything with "stock" oil capacity at 600+ hp.

Hello I am having clearance issues with the oil pan. 1966 Dart 273. Do they make a replacement low profile pan?
I'm confused. In this revived post, Is he "KDean" asking about a BBD pan or a 66 Dart with a 273 that has clearance issues?

I'm confused. In this revived post, Is he "KDean" asking about a BBD pan or a 66 Dart with a 273 that has clearance issues?
He needs to start his own thread and not confuse this one with a highjack.

-
Back