Oil pan clearance

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rookie mistake. I just finished putting together the short block of my 512(440) build when I ran across the @AndyF pics of oil pans and clearance for idler arms. My oil pan does not have the notch and is a 6-7 quart deep pan The engine is on a run stand right now. Today we will do a trial fit to see if I have clearance at all. We are also changing to manual steering. Do we need to install the manual gear and connect the steering up to check clearances? This is in a 73 scamp. Any chance that this pan will work or is it a must to have a clearance for the idler arm. Thanks for any help.

Couple options: modify the pan you have or find the #187/#699 pan.
Most aftermarket performance pans hang too low for any decent street use. First speed-bump will wipe it out.
440source sells a #187 pan that is 1/2" deeper( claims it is 6qt). With filter!

I, too , saw Andy F.'s pic and it is a big help . Thanks Andy ! In my case I have a "B" engine in my '72 Scamp . I used a c-body pan #187 which has clearance for the pitman arm but is only 4 quart capacity . I went to Milodon 7 qt pan with no issues . I haven't seen too many 440 swaps with power steering but I believe it can be done if you use try-Y headers . BTW I broke my cam in with iron exhaust manifolds from a c-body . the left manifold dumped right on the steering column . good luck

You don't need to install the whole steering linkage to check clearance but you need to install at least the passenger side so you'll know if you have clearance at full lock. If your pan doesn't have some clearance in that area you'll most likely need to either ding it with a round bar or pull the pan and modify it. The Mancini pan I used should solve the problem and provide you with more oil capacity but it is kind of expensive for an oil pan.

852BDC33-F818-4D07-8EB0-65D87219678C.jpeg
Well, I installed the empty trans case and tail shaft and attached that to the crossmember. ThenI Installed the Motor on the Schumacher mounts without any shims to level it. For the heck of it, I also put the manual steering gear in as well and bolted everything together. If I really push hard I can get it to touch but just barely. 1/8 inch of shims and there would be no touching. I am going to go with it as it is and dent it later if need be.

my 383 was from a jensen interceptor and clears the steering on either lock. 68 valiant by the way, oh and the schumacher tri y headers clear the power steering box too.

-
Back