Oil Pan Gasket Fitment

-

DaisyDart

Reaction score
Hello again everyone,
I'm currently in the process of replacing some leaky engine seals, and I'm concerned about the fitment of the rear oil pan gasket. Is it normal that the gasket isn't completely flat, but the rubber "pegs" are all through the small locating holes
Help!!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 184
The pegs are there to hold the gasket onto the pan before installation; you push them through and grab them with some pliers on the lower side and gently wobble them around to make them pop through and hold. If you do that, the gasket should be OK. It almost looks like the end gasket did not draw down all the way.... did you follow the trim instructions at the rear ends of the cork side gaskets?

I wasn't aware of any trim instructions?? What's that about ?

Besides using RTV gasket, i followed that procedure, yet i still have the weird looking gasket on the rear, nobody has any idea why it did this, if its normal or not?
Should I re-do it?

My point on the trim instructions is that the cork side gasket ends get cut in a certain way to not interfere with the rubber end gasket seating down on the block. I can't see but I am wondering if the rubber gasket is being held off the block by the cork side gasket end being shoved too far under the rubber part. I just cant remember exactly how it goes, so I asked about the trim instructions (if any).

As for RTV, I would only use the black, which is very tacky/sticky, not the red for this. The only place that gets RTV gobbed on is the corners. The main surfaces just get a skin coat. Too much RTV in the flat areas, acts as a lubricant and the gaskets 'ooze' out of place.

And as I look at the pix again, it almost looks like the cork gaskets do extend too far under the rubber....but I really can't see well enough. What brand of gaskets?

You never use RTV on a rubber gasket. This is why the gasket is squirming around and trying to push out. You can either get that gasket back off, clean all the RTV off of everything, try again or get a new pan gasket set.

-
Back