Oil pan gasket help required

-

LXguy

Reaction score
OK:

So I'm trying to put my Kevko 360 pan on my magnum 5.9 engine. I have never changed a mopar oil pan gasket before.

I have put the stepped end piece for the gasket on the pan. It seems there is an air gap in the corners that you can actually see through. Is this wrong or am I supposed to build a half inch layer of goo to take up the empty space?

I'm longing for the one piece oil pan gasket I've used (and reused) on small block Fords. It didn't require any silicone.

Thanks for any help

Steve

Steve, Does your new pan have a step/or notch in the front corners? Or is it a nice round corner? Can you give us a picture? I would think that it should lay on the pan tight. But I do get in trouble for thinking.

the gasket and pan must match..if you are using a magnum pan..use a magnum gasket....if you are using a LA pan...you have to use a LA gasket..

I just looked at Kevko's web site and they just say 360. If you have a notch in the front seal area it would be a LA pan. Which you'll need the LA gasket.

It's an LA style pan. I've got the notches, and the LA end piece. However, when I pull the tabs through the holes, there's still an air gap between the gasket and the pan in the notch area.

Steve

It seems like you are trying to put an LA pan on a Magnum block,that is like the child that tries to put the square peg in the round hole.

Thanks for the patronizing useless response.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

It seems like you are trying to put an LA pan on a Magnum block,that is like the child that tries to put the square peg in the round hole.

I think what you are saying is the gasket is not tight up against the pan around the notched ends. When you go to bolt it on it should get pressed into place and squeeze the rubber slightly. Its not going to sit up against the pan tight until its in place. Just make sure you use a little bit of sealer in the corners.

I used high-tac spray to hold the seals in place, then high temp silicon in the corners. There a pic on page four (I think)on my thread that shows the front seal area on the engine. You could try a dry test fit on your block, but I think you'll be fine.
OG

-
Back