oil pan has a hole in it

-
JB weld can perform miracles when used right. Probably his cheapest fix for sure. Welding the pan would cost him almost nothing too. Heck,snake you wanna ship it to me I'll weld it with a mig for free!

I guess my 10 year testomoney doesn't hold water..... er... oil.

It does with me! Like stated earlier my Damper put a huge hole in the timing cover. I patched it with JB Stick and made it look like it never happened............

410 stroker motor 004.jpg

410 stroker motor 003.jpg

410 stroker motor 005.jpg

410 stroker motor 004.jpg

410 stroker motor 003.jpg

410 stroker motor 005.jpg

I also had a high volume oil pump pole a hole in my oil pan. Some of them stick out further than others. Check that real close Snake to make sure you don't do it again.

BTW: I had my pan tig welded and it doesn't leak a drop. Got 5,000 miles on it now.

I prefer to weld things or replace them but have used JB weld with great success. The very first time I ever saw it used was about 20 yrs. ago at a shady forklift repair shop I worked at for a very short time. The boss was unbelievably crooked and would do anything to make a buck. He used JB weld to patch a hole in a hydraulic lift cylinder. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it because with something like that your playing with peoples lives. To my amazement about 10 yrs. later I was working for a different forklift repair shop and ran across that forklift and it still had that patch of JB weld on it and was still holding. Never leaked a drop that I could see. When applied right it is amazing.

If it's on a stand, money is no issue, get a new pan. I have made all kind of fixes when in a pinch; JB Weld, coat hangers, vice grips (drove a VW for 2 years with two small off brand vice grips holding spindly wires to the battery terminals, LOL) duct tape, zip ties, you name it. But if building a motor, do it right!
my two cents worth...

You can get a brand new milodon pan at summit for $115.95 on sale right now.
It's baffled,and will hold the pans oil around the pickup under hard acceleration and cornering.
Stock pans don't have baffles.
$115.95 is a good deal for a baffled pan.

Brand Milodon
Manufacturer's Part Number 30755
Part Type Oil Pans, Individual
Product Line Milodon Stock Replacement Oil Pans
Summit Racing Part Number MIL-30755

Rear Main Seal Style 2-piece
Sump Style Wet
Oil Pan Capacity 4 quarts
Oil Pan Depth (in) 7.250 in.
Oil Pan Material Steel
Oil Pan Finish Gold iridited
Sump Location Center
Baffled Yes
Kicked Out No
Stroker Clearanced No
Maximum Stroke with OE Rod 4.125 in.
Dipstick Provision No
Windage Tray Included No
Pickup Included No
Crank Scraper Included No
Drain Plug Thread Size 1/2-20 in.
Gaskets Included No
Hardware Included No
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes Has heli-arc welded in interior baffle. Oil pan front depth is 3.750 in.

Perfect for restoration projects.

These Milodon oil pans are stock replacements for factory oil pans, and are perfect for restoration projects. They're also perfect for engines that are not intended for racing and just need a new stock-style pan. These American-made pans offer an excellent fit, and flat, un-warped pan rails, unlike imported pans. They feature internal baffling to keep oil in the sump and free up additional horsepower, and are available for most domestic V8 engines.

Well that JB weld is starting to sound good,enough said about it I may try it.Thanksssssss.Not saying I dont beleive yas that have used it,just I seam to have bad luck.

The pan on my Demon needed a patch. I didn't use JB Weld. I used a 2 part epoxy I got from Canadian Tire. It's thicker than JB Weld. It comes in a tube and you just cut off a piece with a knife, knead it together in your hands and then apply it to bare metal and let it cure. It was called "something Steel" or "Steel something". I've turned my place inside out trying to find it but no luck. It kind of reminds me of the crap that Billy Mayes (RIP) was peddling on tv - Mighty Putty - but that is not what I used. Anyways, 10 years and no leaks or drips. Wish I could remember what it was called!

Wylde1.

The pan on my Demon needed a patch. I didn't use JB Weld. I used a 2 part epoxy I got from Canadian Tire. It's thicker than JB Weld. It comes in a tube and you just cut off a piece with a knife, knead it together in your hands and then apply it to bare metal and let it cure. It was called "something Steel" or "Steel something". I've turned my place inside out trying to find it but no luck. It kind of reminds me of the crap that Billy Mayes (RIP) was peddling on tv - Mighty Putty - but that is not what I used. Anyways, 10 years and no leaks or drips. Wish I could remember what it was called!

Wylde1.

JB Weld Stick is the same thing. No mixing or anything you cut off a piece and roll it around in your fingers, then apply it! It is not wet or anything, some weird stuff that works awesome!

If the engine is not in the car and you can swing a new pan and gasket I would just swap on a new pan if it were my engine. Mancini sells those replacement pans pretty cheap. I went with the Kevko 6 quart on mine because it has baffles and does not hang below the k-frame. Now if the hole is due to a dent and the pan is not rusty having a pro welder repair it is a good way to go. If it was in the car already I would JB weld it until it had to come out in the future.

Well the Mancini pans aren't that cheap:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mo360cesu.html

Maybe they could just sell you the pan.

The Kevko set up was around $180 with pick-up. And it is 6 quarts plus what the filter holds. More oil allows the oil to cool in the pan. Plus you don't need a windage tray because it is deep and has a built in crank scraper. Good deal for the money if you can afford it.

Well bad newssss.I got my new pan today and they screwed up,they sent me a truck pan.why cant the parts guy get it right.Nothing in Canada the say so now 5 to 6 weeks for one to come to canada.I my pop this pan and have a look .Dam so close again.

Hey Don I've used the J-B weld with great results on a couple of my pans before. I couldn't believe how hard it is to get a pan in Canada till I was looking for yours today, **** there should be all kinds of them but they seem hard to find here. If you're not sure of the J-B weld then Summit might be a good direction to go (cheaper then any place around here)..

Man that bites. I had the same thing happen to me once. Ordered a pan for a 360 Mopar and got one for a 460 Ford!! Idiots at Flatlander Racing.

Hey Don I've used the J-B weld with great results on a couple of my pans before. I couldn't believe how hard it is to get a pan in Canada till I was looking for yours today, **** there should be all kinds of them but they seem hard to find here. If you're not sure of the J-B weld then Summit might be a good direction to go (cheaper then any place around here)..

Thankssss Ron for your help,I guessss I will play the waiting game LOL.

-
Back