Oil Pan Help small blocks

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Has anyone used a pan by Kevko? I want a pan that is larger than stock, but do not want to get into ground issues etc. I have a 64 Dart getting a 416 stroker 340. I run PS too.

Their discription: Part # M301 | M302

This pan fits most stock pan locations. It has a 2 gate assembly, crank scraper, and baffles. It measures 8" deep with the front expanded for more capacity. 6 quart capacity. Painted Black Finish.

Also if I used this pan I have read the major issues with small block pumps is the pickup size tube is small. What is the best pickup tube out there for a high volume pump? They show a pickup tube for use with the pan, but I wonder is it larger or just longer?

One other pan question. On a Mopar pan they list it as a 5 quart unit, is it 5 with the filter or without. I really would like to have a 6 or 7 quart pan and not sacrifce ground clearance.

Thanks all.

M301_full.gif

On top of my previous post, what are others using on a stroker 416 or 408 small block? I know that the windage tray is an issue to with clearance etc on a crank.

Dave, I don't use the brand as the one you want, however I think this could be a tricky question. As stated fits "Most" Mopars, ensure the sump area is in the same location and that their is a cut away for your steering link etc. Depending on your pump pressure now, I would think its safe you only need a longer pick up to match your new depth. As for bottoming out???? I would say most guys that have owned headers (depending on make) know about that and again depending if the pan is lower.
I can also tell you (and it's not going to be as nice as a new deep pan), A guy I know went out and got a deep sump and another used pan and cut the bottom straight off about 4" above the drain. He then (with his own pan) cut it straight off just above the drain and nicely welded the other one in it's place. Sanded, painted...looked good. So if you do have any trouble with your new pan...It's an idea

Good Luck

I am also looking at buying the Kevco pan and pickup assy. for the same reasons you are. The only thing I know is I talked to them and they said it would fit my chassis (68 Cuda) with no problems. They did say something about a slight clearance issue with the windage tray but I could easily modify it to clear.

On the question about the stock pan capacity. My engine held exactly 5 quarts with the filter so the pan must be 4 quarts plus a little bit.

i run the milodon windage tray that is adjustable to accomodate the bigger stroke. just food for thought.

Mine was for a dirt modified and had the kickout and such. They seemed to have a somewhat complicated formula for setting their pickup at the right height. We felt with all the bouncing around that a mudder would do, we finally tacked on a small spacer like Milodon does on their pickups. I've used a low profile 8 qt. Milodon in three different cars ( early A, late A, and an F body ) without clearance problems, and could also still use the Mopar Performance windage tray (mine wasn't a stroker, however). I have both Milodon part numbers if you want them. RICK

Thanks all. Well I will take a look at milodon too. I read that it was either the milodon or moroso that had to have the kframe notched. And if I went with one of the 8 quart pans you do not need a windage tray? At least that is what I was told by others.

I know that the stk mopar windage tray has to be bent up etc to clear the stroker crank.

On the reply about a stk pan, yep I know they are 4 qt + 1 with the filter, but it list the performance pan as 5 qt. Is it still 4 qt + 1 with filter. If I go with a skt type pan maybe even the one above from Kevco I most likely would need a windage tray, but on some pans they keep the crank out of the oil and then this is a non issue.

Well yes I will take the numbers of the milodon pan and misc parts.

I just do not want to run only 5 qts. I have even thought about a remote filter adapter, run dual filters and an oil cooler. This would add at least 2.5 qts to the system. Then I could use the windage tray to help the crank out somewhat in the oil. But it does seem that a stroker crank is going to be into the oil even more than the stoker. So something needs to be done. :salute:

Has anyone used this pan from Milodon?

LO PRO 340 & 360
Designed for 340 & 360 Chrysler engines where superior oil control and increased ground clearance is desired. Features increased oil capacity, which is an absolute must to handle the demands of higher RPM, while increasing oil control by raising the rear pan floor. Highly efficient horizontal baffles are used for oil control while the sump rear features added large tube header clearance.

djwhog, I also added a Moroso 3 qt accumulator because I didn't want to pull the engine out and pop for a new higher capacity pan. I haven't tried it out yet because of our lousy weather, but the advantage is I can prelube the engine before I start it. I have no idea how well it will work, but I plan on flogging the car once spring gets here.

I'm running the milodon 30935 pan and pickup on my 416 stroker with a windage tray,on my '70 duster the k-frame had to be notched on the pass. side no biggie though.....

340srule said:
I'm running the milodon 30935 pan and pickup on my 416 stroker with a windage tray,on my '70 duster the k-frame had to be notched on the pass. side no biggie though.....

Well sounds good, i think I will go with the 30936 which is a little shorter 1 qt less. I think I will also go with a remote oil filter adatpter and oil cooler. With the remote filter it will make it easier with the TTI headers and add about 2 more qts with the cooler and remote setup.

What did you use to notch the frame with? Is it only about a inch or less? Do you have a picture of the frame?

Thanks!

-
Back