Oil pan leak - wrong pan?

-
Have you verified the pickup isn't sticking out too far stopping the pan from sealing? Pan rail warped or dented?

For the rear main seal, did you pull the bearing cap and replace the seal that seals the cap across the block?

Have you verified it's not running down from the oil filter/adapter? I had one do that once and it made a perfect trek down to the rear of the pan making it look like it was the pan leaking.

Can actually see it seeping where the rear pan gasket meets the pan. Shows up bright green under the ultraviolet light.

Can actually see it seeping where the rear pan gasket meets the pan. Shows up bright green under the ultraviolet light.

OK, It's possible the seal is sliding in to the ending and not compressing, of course this is fun to do working under the car. The ultra Gray "Good Stuff works well and sets fast.

I think we're just using regular rtv silicone. I did us "The Right Stuff" along with cork gaskets and they have been bone dry...no seepage.

He buttoned everything up again and going to let the rtv cure overnight. We're crossing our fingers.

I think we're just using regular rtv silicone. I did us "The Right Stuff" along with cork gaskets and they have been bone dry...no seepage.

He buttoned everything up again and going to let the rtv cure overnight. We're crossing our fingers.

That stuff sets fast and glues up good. Let us know!

That stuff sets fast and glues up good. Let us know!

Sorry...not to good typing on the Kindle. I used "Right Stuff" on valve covers with good results. I think he's using RTV on the pan end seals.

Sorry...not to good typing on the Kindle. I used "Right Stuff" on valve covers with good results. I think he's using RTV on the pan end seals.

Then letting it sit overnight is best. I think the Black RTV I have stated 24 for full cure. But temperature can change that.

Leak fixed! We tig welded the pan to the block. Don't know why we didn't think of it sooner?

hey man, you do what you gotta do! Steel to iron weld, interesting....I was going to suggest you check pan clearance from the oil pump, I had a pan that would NOT fit a melling oil pump. it hung on the pump and never allowed the pan to seal. metal shot filled hammer confirmed pan was on pump, the hammer showed us where we had to clearance it from the inside. right at one of the pump bolts.

Yeah...just kidding. He trimmed the cork gasket a bit, a little extra rtv, let it cure overnight and no leak so far. I think pan may have been a tad warped or something. Thanks for all the help, gentlemen.

After all the frustration, had it not sealed after the last attempt, we were considering spraying the entire engine with "Leak Ender 2000"

Glad to see you got it fixed :cheers:. Having same problem with mine...didn't leak until I got it hot and really wound it up around town. Fearing it's the main seal. But I failed to let the RTV set long enough and think I may have squeezed it out when installing the pan. Gonna try another new gasket set and rtv in the rear corners (letting it sit over night this time). But what a pain getting the darn pan off with the headers, linkage etc :banghead:. Fingers crossed that does the trick...otherwise I see an engine hoist in my near future.

Pat

PCV goes from the base of the Thermoquad to the valve cover. No other vents that I am aware of. Ball rattles freely in PCV valve but may replace. just to be sure.
On the oposite VC you would want some type of vent. Either a Breather cap or a hose going to the Air Cleaner. This is the air inlet for the crankcase. PCV valve draws it out, breather lets fresh air in.

Yeah...just kidding. He trimmed the cork gasket a bit, a little extra rtv, let it cure overnight and no leak so far. I think pan may have been a tad warped or something. Thanks for all the help, gentlemen.

After all the frustration, had it not sealed after the last attempt, we were considering spraying the entire engine with "Leak Ender 2000"
It's ok, were all a tad warped on here too! :tard::blob::bootysha::banghead::D

I think a new pan would have help, pans do warp and get distorted

Yes...does have the breather in the RH valve cover and verified it is clear and unobstructed.

Attachments

• Engine RH.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 75

LMAO... Dude, you really had me going :banghead:

:D:D:D

Seriously, glad ya got it fixed. Oil leaks drive me crazy

-
Back