Oil pan question

-

Matt68

Reaction score
Cleaning up my 10/68 cast 340, I can’t find any numbers cast or stamped on the oil pan. Pan looks as old as the block as far as wear and rust. Can it be factory stock for the 340?
TIA

Is it for a 68 model year car or 69 ?

did you look on top near bellhousing mounting surface?

does it have a machined pad at the oil pan rail?

what color does it look like the motor had originally? The bottom most layer or paint.

any pics?

I don't recall any numbers being stamped in the pan on my '68 either- but then I can barely remember what day it is... I would say if it looks original, it probably is.

He said

what color does it look like the motor had originally? The bottom most layer or paint.

any pics?

He said;

stamped on the oil pan

The oil pan number is stamped in the bottom of the pan.

I found 2 pans from a '70 and a '71, both stamped "288", and one pan I believe to be a '68 with no stamping. I can't get at my original '68 right now, in storage. Hope it helps.

The book shows #394 for 67-69 273, 318, and 340. No number on earlier pans. Not sure what is right.

any pics?
It went into a 1969 Dodge Dart 340. I’ll try to post some pics.

image.jpg
image.jpg

That's a truck pan.
No factory 340s in trucks, so definitely not original.

Last edited:
I have oil pans for 340's 68 and 69. clean and ready to install . $40 pick it up in east Pa, Danielsville or you pay shipping.

-
Back