Oil pan removal 273

-

DFM

Reaction score
What’s the easiest way to replace the oil pan on a 67 barracuda 273 engine?

Remove the motor mount bolts from K frame, jack up the engine and remove the oil pan. Watch the distributor doesn't contact the firewall. 65'

you may want to also remove the center link to give you some wiggle room

now, someone will come along here shortly and tell you, the added effort it takes to remove the entire engine is easily worth it if that means you will be able to get the oil pan on and sealed properly again on a stand

so, one thing to consider is, how confident are you that you will be able to get the oil installed again from underneath?

I did a 340 Demon back in the late 70's on my back. I do remember it was tricky getting around the oil pickup. I also removed my oil pickup because it was full of old valve seals and then re-installed. If you do this make sure you measure so you get it back right where it belongs. I changed my pump because my oil pressure was bad at idle. Probably was just the pickup but changed pump anyways while pan was down.

I changed the oil pan gasket on my 65 273 with engine in. I did the unbolt engine mounts but left center link. I’d rather just pull engine out completely next time. I was also in my 30s and limber.

Last edited:
if you don't have a lift it's a miserable god-forsaken job. with one it's barely tolerable.

if *anything* else needs attention, best to just suck it up and pull the whole motor.

-
Back