Oil Pans

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
Hey guys just sitting here bored ready other guys build threads.

I'm making this post to help others as well as myself.

Let talk oil pans and find out which ones work for different applications.

I'd like to get pictures and info for each of the pans.

Year and Model of Car:
Factory K or Aftermarket:
Brand of Pan:
Known fitmit issues:

Right now I'm focused on RMS Alterkation with rack. Which pans work with this setup?

It seems like Milodon has issues with the windage tray and pickup tube but I'm not sure I'd even use the windage tray.

Thank you,

Riddler

Milodon has a road race LX pan out now. Dont see why it wouldnt work with an Alter-K.

I did see your posts RealWing thats why I'm asking.

Has anyone used a stock truck pan with the alterktion? How low below the K frame does it hang?

I also saw the Moroso pan but I've never had good luck with aluminum moroso pans. I'd like to stick with steel.

72BBSwinger does you have a part number for that?

Riddler

OK with the Milodon pan do you have to run the windage tray? I know the factory pans on the 5.7 and 6.1 have a windage tray sortof built in.

I'm trying to stay clear of the Moroso pan SRT8 Cuda designed only because it's aluminum and the last car I had I hated the Moroso pans. While the tig welds were beautiful the oil seemed to seep out of every weld. I then went with a Canton pan and all was well.

Riddler

I've got the milodon 31000 with a truck gasket windage tray and the milodon dipstick.

WARNING: the truck gasket does not line up correctly with the milodon Pan. I had a leak from the front pan corners, and had to drop the pan and use RTV. No leaks now.

How the gasket sits on the pan. Note the ridges that curve inward:
DDA408A7-2CFF-45E6-85A5-267DA31F448C-5253-000006EE4653E165_zpsdfaead95.jpg

In this pic, you can see where the 'ribs' in the gasket jog in, but the pan stays straight (at the corner). I added RTV through this area and a bolt hole further and it seals fine now.
080F1489-30A2-4BB9-84AE-3DD9B06C82C7-5253-000006EE5B01D6AD_zpsb6d9850e.jpg

What problems are people having with the milodon gasket and windage tray?

My idler arm zerk fitting just hits the pan. Left a small dent on the corner.

I know this is a little off from what you are looking for here but - - - Why don't you want to use a windage tray?

Riddler
I have the truck pan on mine with the 6.1. Clearance for the rack is not an issue. I have installed the stock truck dipstick also but wish it would slide in and out a bit easier. I don't remember taking a measurement on how low it hangs but will do so on Monday. Right now I have it mounted to the suspension and on a cart at work. I don't care for how high the dipstick is so I will modify that in the future.

I'm leaning towards using my truck pan I have sitting here. You do know that lokar makes a dipstick that will work with the truck pan...

Let me know how low the truck pan fits.

Riddler

Ok I measured it today. The pan drops below the cross member 1 3/4"
The 3/4" part is the drain plug that drops below the rest of the pan

For a 1.75" drop between the wheels I think it'll be fine. Maybe one day I'll have extra coin around to buy another pan, but this factory pan with the factory gasket/windage tray sounds perfect to me.

Now to find a dipstick to work with the truck pan.

Riddler

I say that cause I saw one on eBay for about 500 and then you gotta get the pick up tube. I paid 400 for my Charlie's with pick up tube, but these pans are too damned expensive to start with anyway. There is a milodon pan with tube on eBay for under 300, that's a good deal.

Stock K member setup
My set up, 1970 duster, 5.7 w/ A833. Stock k-member

I used the tti swap mounts, tti headers milidon Pan and windage tray, w/ pick up tube. Pan clears great, windage tray needed some modifications, 1. Where the pick tube sits, had to bend outwards, 2. Where the dip stick comes in, it was hitting, had to make the hole larger.

Attachments

• image-420983333.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 386
  • image-3758361874.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 409
I have a weldtech pan in my 73 Duster with a 72 k frame (bought my mounts & headers before TTI came out with spool type.
I had to notch the k, but from the pictures on their site I think they have fixed this issue.
http://www.weldtechstainless.com/wtstainless_004.htm
truck dipstick works without issue.
I had to do some grinding, but was able to use the structural cover in attaching to the 545RFE trans.

-
Back