oil pooling under carb on Air Gap manifold

-

412 Stroker

Reaction score
I think I might have read about this before but I couldn't find it, I have oil pooling under my carb on my air gap manifold, I am thinking that it must be coming from the manifold bolt holes?? I have OEM cast iron heads, I thought it might be coming from my oil pressure line but I changed that, its not coming from my dizzy so I am thinking it must be from the bolts, so that means that the heads have pressurized oil in the manifold bolt holes?? why would they do that??

The bottom of the bolts are exposed to oil. Oil will wick up the threads if you don't use some kind of sealer.

Thanks that's what I was hoping as that should be a fairly quick fix, I had the machine shop assemble the engine for me, apparently they didn't know Mopar has oil in there.

Had a shop do the same thing to me. After cleaning my engine, the next week I see small puddles in the intake recess below the bolts. Theres no place else for it to come from, all surrounding areas including the head were dry.

Chase them with a tap. Spray the holes with parts cleaner/brake cleaner.

After removing the bolts and degreasing them, whats the best way to clean the threads in the head?

if the intake is all the way off and you can catch the shavings then id use a tap. if your gonna leave the intake in place and just do one bolt at a time i like to use the little wire pipe cleaners with the shop vac behind it. that way it will drop little balls of oil scum but not metal shavings.

The shop vac was mandatory, oh yeah! Think its coming off as I want to do some more detail cleaning and paint the RPM mopar blue to match the engine. The finish is pretty much gone.

My issue was when using chrome valve covers and the airgap. The tangs on the valve covers to keep the gasket in place, hit the intake flanges and lift the gasket mating surface of the valve covers. You just need to cut thosr tangs down.

might want to make sure your PCV is working and breather caps too....hard to image oil going up hill on threads unless it is being pushed by pressure..

-
Back