Oil Pressure dropped

-

mooser

273 Commando Kid
Reaction score
My 273 my dad and I just rebuilt. I've been driving it for 2 weeks now and I had a strong 65-70 oil psi then when I was sitting at a light today I realized that it was sitting at 25 and then i thought it would go up if i floored and I did just that but then it said it was at almost 0 Psi. what is the problem?

My 273 my dad and I just rebuilt. I've been driving it for 2 weeks now and I had a strong 65-70 oil psi then when I was sitting at a light today I realized that it was sitting at 25 and then i thought it would go up if i floored and I did just that but then it said it was at almost 0 Psi. what is the problem?
WHAT KIND OF OIL LINE ARE YOU USING COULD HAVE AIR IN IT COULD BE GEAR ID CHECK OUT WITH VALVE COVER OFF

probably a defective gauge , if the engine made no noises and you drove it home theres no problem , you would only go about a 1/2 mile it would start to rattle , it only takes 7 pounds to put a light out .I would put a good hand held gauge on it lay it in under the hood start up and try checking it that way , this will give you real oil pressure. my 340 dart sport only has 18 pound at an idle when hot.

25 psi is pretty normal for a warmed up car at idle. Now the fact that it went to zero would be a concern. Are you sure you still have the level correct? Did the pressure recover or did it stay at zero? Could be a gauge problem but I wouldn't take that chance.

Ground the wire for the sending unit ,with the ignition turned on, to check the gauge or light.

did you hear any odd noises? Ticking? Oil can be sucked in thru the PCV (aftermarket valve covers?), valves, rings, or gaskets and burnt too. So if you dont see any puddles, it may be drinking it.

It's normal for a new engine to use some oil at first, but enough to make it low like that is excessive. Has to be a leak (unless you put on a real butt-load of miles in the last couple of weeks), either onto the ground or into the combustion chambers. Hope you find it.

Im having the same prob. Your having . Oil pressure dropped to 0 at a stop light then went back up when hit the gas . . I live in san jose too . South san jose .maybe ill see that duster around somewhere

if you have a wet gauge, it could have air in the line. if it has a sending unit, it could be bad, but not likely. as long as you have over 25 lbs. it should be fine. low oil level will let it drain the pan(not completely usually) and loose pressure. p/d pumps will cavitate if starved. but, not likely either. my 340 has 25-28 at idle cold. and 23-25 hot. 45-55 at cruise rpm hot, and 65-75 cold. don't freak-out. if you have a leak though, you need to get that fixed. you know earth day and all that frilly fru fru crap.

I'd check the line leading to the gauge starting at the angine and checking the whole length for leaks. Maybe you forgot a grommet when you put it through the firewall and it put a small whole in it?

-
Back