Oil Pressure Gauge install questions

-
Does an electrical oil pressure gauge need a voltage limiter, e.g. a resistor to limit voltage? Will the gauge and sender both need a live wire to them? Will the length of wire be limited? Will the gauge and sender be matched or be specific to the engine? Will an after market supplier provide this information? I've had not been able to determine these things by viewing catelogues on line.
Thanks, Richard.

No on all counts, except maybe the aftermarket supplier question.
Aftermarket stuff is very generic.
Usually power only goes to the guage, and the sender wire is the ground that varies the voltage to make the guage read different values.
I guess if you used 100 feet of wire it might affect things.
Guages are not engine specific.

So the wire from the gauge to the sender (which I may have to lengthen for my A100 van) will be live and the electrical oil pressure sending unit will need to be grounded to the engine and no teflon tape should be used on the threads.
Thanks all, Richard

So the wire from the gauge to the sender (which I may have to lengthen for my A100 van) will be live and the electrical oil pressure sending unit will need to be grounded to the engine and no teflon tape should be used on the threads.
Thanks all, Richard

Sort of live in a way.
The guage is live the the wire is the ground (if you were to touch the wire to a grounded surface the guage would move.
Teflon tape might insulate the guage and make it not work, but you could seal it with teflon and put a small hose clamp on the stem so you would have a ground wire for it.

Sorry to drudge up an old post but, is there a special socket or something for the stock oil pressure sender? On my 318 with a/c, this thing is a pain in the *** to even get to!

Standard open end wrench, there is a hex head on the underside of the sender.
Its easy if you take the distributor out.

Sorry to drudge up an old post but, is there a special socket or something for the stock oil pressure sender? On my 318 with a/c, this thing is a pain in the *** to even get to!

Yes, there is. We used to have one at the shop I worked at back in the day. Classic Industries sells this one for $6.

You can use an 27mm (metric) socket or something similar in inches. A deep socket works better, but a short one is just deep enough to do the job.

Cheers, Remco

What about removing the large round one found on the BB, it's impossible to get a wrench in there

You can use an 27mm (metric) socket or something similar in inches. A deep socket works better, but a short one is just deep enough to do the job.

Cheers, Remco

-
Back