oil pressure issue?

-
so which brand pump to buy? mopar perf. melling or seald power? or are they all mellings in diff. boxes?

so which brand pump to buy? mopar perf. melling or seald power? or are they all mellings in diff. boxes?

I think that MP are Mellings. #-o

I had a bad experience with a TRW oil pump back in the day and do not buy ANY TRW parts because of how they handled it. I would not recommend them to anyone. :finga:

I've used Mellings and Mopar Performance pumps for years now and have had great results. :cheers:

just got my mp pump. it is a melling. and got the gasket. gonna put it back together this weekend and see how it goes. installing oothb. and no porting to it. last one I did the mods.

well that didn't fix it. slow to climb to 40lbs. rev it and pressure drops to 0. will idle at 30 hot . only thing I can figure is lifters coming out of hole as you rev. they are morel soild rollers, any one use these lifters with out tubing the block?

Could there be a blockage in the oil passages somewhere?

Main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings are properly aligned with the oil holes? Could one of the bearing shells have rotated and blocked a passage?

Are you using ARP fasteners on the oil pump?

Here's what you can do.

Pull the engine and put it on an engine stand. Get a priming shaft and turn the oil pump. Tear down the engine a little at a time and look for oil gushing out when you spin the oil pump. The spot where the oil comes gushing out, is your source of the pressure loss.

yea I know I can tear it down just was trying to find problem without going that far. especially since it had 60-70 lbs from start up and a bunch of test drives. to a sudden loss of pressure. quess I will wait till winter! gonna go back to racing my fast chevy till then. i'm fed up with this one!

Wacky thought! :D

I know Bones said the intermediate shaft was fine.......But do any of you guys think it's possible to shear the pin and still have the shaft turn by interference fit alone at low speeds and then slip/spin as the demand increases?

Might not even be a rational thought, but I'm grasping at straws on this one...:)

Also keep in mind I haven't physically had one of these in my hands for more then 20yrs, lol.

yea I know I can tear it down just was trying to find problem without going that far. especially since it had 60-70 lbs from start up and a bunch of test drives. to a sudden loss of pressure. quess I will wait till winter! gonna go back to racing my fast chevy till then. i'm fed up with this one!

I had an engine that I pulled 4 times before finally finding the problem. I found it using the priming tool as described above. It turned out to be the two oil galley plugs behind the camshaft thrust plate were not put back in at the machine shop when they did their block work for me.... :banghead:

I always check that on every engine that I work on now....

Wacky thought! :D

I know Bones said the intermediate shaft was fine.......But do any of you guys think it's possible to shear the pin and still have the shaft turn by interference fit alone at low speeds and then slip/spin as the demand increases.

^^^^^^^ Xs2 ... not wacky

or a rounded off hex at the bottom..

I pulled the shaft and checked it in my vise it is good. I know bolts are in there me and a buddy put this together. he has done a few mopars and my 1st one. this is my street strip car, not the race one. I'm just new to mopars.

-
Back