Oil Pressure Line ?

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What do you use for the line from the mechanical oil pressure gauge....plastic, brass or braided? Have used brass before, but not so sure it's the best idea........:scratch:

What do you use for the line from the mechanical oil pressure gauge....plastic, brass or braided? Have used brass before, but not so sure it's the best idea........:scratch:
I've used the copper tubing in the past with good results. Most importantly, avoid the plastic stuff. If plastic gets kinked, it's junk and more often than not so is your carpet. It also has a poor tolerance for heat and could pose a fire hazard under the hood. I haven't used braided line for this, but it would probably work well.

I've used the copper tubing in the past with good results. Most importantly, avoid the plastic stuff. If plastic gets kinked, it's junk and more often than not so is your carpet. It also has a poor tolerance for heat and could pose a fire hazard under the hood. I haven't used braided line for this, but it would probably work well.

D: Copper

Just wondering...hmmm...have used copper (not brass, doh) before and it broke a couple of times. Made a huge mess under the hood. :angry7:

Must have been something I was doing wrong.....:happy8:

I've never used anything but plastic and have NEVER had a single problem with it. My 2 cents.

I have never had an issue with plastic, but this last time I went with a braided kit. Looks nice too.

Copper hardens as you bend it. Try to keep the routing simple and avoid repeated bending and you should be good to go.

Try this. They have several different lengths. I used a 4 footer on mine. Looks nice and a lot less chance of breaking like the plastic lines that come with the guages.

www.summitracing.com

Summit SUM-G2960

Larry

Sounds like a 50/50 split copper / plastic.

ihearold.....thx for the link....looks good too :cheers:

Copper is just as vulnerable to kinking, I used plastic on my last car and it works very nice, easy to run through the firewall and up the a-pillar.

its all "plastic rocks" until you're lapping up 40 weight - i dont remember the exact size but the braided russell brake lines are where its at - the extra $30 is more than worth the piece of mind.
my philosophy is when you're dumping all this money and time building a muscle car, why skimp on something like that?

Using copper now,had a plastic line split inside the car on a chevy.I got rid of both problems!

I've used plastic and braided. Only used copper once. I'd go braided, for peace of mind.

ive used both with equal results. tech is an issue with plastic but not on the street. just remember to put a softener on it where it goes through the firewall. good luck.

Nothing but braided here. PEACE OF MIND. Plus there is no little ferrule that can cause leaks. Just a -3 or -4 an fitting.

if you can't decide on a line material you could always go with an electric gauge right?

Well....guess I'll stick with the copper for now. Maybe upgrade to braided down the road.

Not going to be racing this car that I know of except maybe "pushing" it into the Demolition Derby :hmph: ;-)....LOL

Lots of good input here and am surprised to see the 50 / 50 split. Guess there's merit to both ways.

When I was running a mechanical gauge when I first bought the car it was copper. I had no problems with it while the gauge was still mechanical. I wouldn't trust the plastic as much as I would the copper. Braided would be the ultimate.

When I was running a mechanical gauge when I first bought the car it was copper. I had no problems with it while the gauge was still mechanical. I wouldn't trust the plastic as much as I would the copper. Braided would be the ultimate.

Agreed!I think the braided is the bullet proof way.Did the electric route before,(thats the way it was when i got the car)mechanical is the know all.Had problems with the plastic and the copper could go the same way if not careful.

-
Back