Oil pressure please help

-

76dartsport76

Mopar girl
Reaction score
I have an original 6 cylinder car with a 360 put in it by the previous owner the oil pressure when it's at idle is around 30 when cruising its around 20 it seems a little low to me so I asked a couple people about it and they said to run 50 weight oil so I did that and when I crank the car up the oil pressure is way better but it sounds like the engine is knocking and it didn't sound like that with regular oil what should the pressure be on any help greatly appreciated

With a stock style engine and pump, i'd like to see close too 50lbs cold @ idle, and 28 to 32lbs hot @ idle on a good condition engine, with a middle weight oil. The fact that your hearing some noise concerns me though...

Knocking isn't good nor is having to run super thick oil to get good oil pressure. Does the knocking go away a few seconds after you start it or does it knock all the time? 50 weight oil is real thick and harder to pump so it takes a few seconds longer to reach the bearings and I've heard engines knock for a couple seconds till the oil gets to the bearings when using thick oil. Older Fords are famous for that.

Your description of having 30 psi pressure at idle and 20 down the road is puzzling. Should be higher going down the road. I haven't even seen that happen when all the bearings are roached.

You ever seen that one Rick?

Your description of having 30 psi pressure at idle and 20 down the road is puzzling. Should be higher going down the road. I haven't even seen that happen when all the bearings are roached.

You ever seen that one Rick?

We could use a little clarification, for sure.....I took it as he meant more of a temp issue...30 cool/early & 20 hot/later........

If that's strictly going by rpm, then it would be unusual for sure. In that case, a overfill/foaming issue is all that comes to mind.

Oil pressure is measured at top end of the system. It drops as engines wear. Doesn't matter who built it. Stock oil pressure gauges do not have numerical increments on the screen. Only 9 psi top end oil pressure is required to turn off a oil warning lamp.
Your concern stems from a aftermarket gauge. You don't have a actual problem yet.
If you did, or if they all had the same gauge from the factory, they would all be rebuilt at 60 to 80 thousand miles.

could be a lot of miles on the 360 by the sounds of it. make sure to run proper oil (not straight weights it should be 10w40 or 20w50 stuff like that.)

you could drop the oil pan replace the oil pump, but it would only be a bandaid for now. your oil pressure would be perfect then, but usually when the pump is worn out the rest of the engine needs work.

so your #1 best bet right now is to keep your eye open for a running 360 for sale. (stay away from craigslist everything runs great on there lol).

find a 360 core. bank up some cash. have it freshened up. bored over if needed, fresh bearings, rings, oil pump, etc. start working on it now.

that way, you can keep driving & enjoy the car now (light gas pedal please on the tired 360) and when you get the new 360 ready you can swap it in.

Thanks everyone that's what I meant 20 idle and 30 going down the road I'm not sure how many actual miles I'm saving my money now for a crate engine I've got my eye on but it will take a while its in my 76 dart sport and it is an after market gauge with the 50 weight oil it don't quit knocking for like 10 min I put 10/30 in it and it quit knocking it doesn't ever use oil thanks for all the replies

And I forgot a few people says it has a cam in it but it looks pretty stock from what I can see and by the way I'm a girl not a guy that loves mopar cars and trucks

Best of luck,prepare to get dirty.(that's a good thing.You learn. ). Beautiful car.

I used to deliver down in Lafayette often and have never ran across your car. It is possible that the bearings are going since it started to knock for 10 min with thicker oil. I would baby it as long as possible until you get the other engine with lighter oil 10/30,10/40

If you have 20 psi hot at idle and 30 psi hot on the highway with that 10-30, and it isn't knocking my guess is that you are fine.

Normal rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

Figure your idle is around 750-850 rpm, 20 psi of oil pressure is more than enough.

More than likely you are under 3000 rpm at 60 mph so again, 30 psi of oil pressure is enough.

With that said, that 50 weight didn't do the engine any good.

If you have 20 psi hot at idle and 30 psi hot on the highway with that 10-30, and it isn't knocking my guess is that you are fine.

Normal rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

Figure your idle is around 750-850 rpm, 20 psi of oil pressure is more than enough.

More than likely you are under 3000 rpm at 60 mph so again, 30 psi of oil pressure is enough.

With that said, that 50 weight didn't do the engine any good.
This, x2

-
Back