oil pressure problem

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
1973 new 318 la with #302 castings, mp oil pump, fel pro sever duty head gaskets... here is the issue....
added remote oil filter adaptor and dual oil filter and cooler set up. went to prelube the engine for the 1st time, all new everything....... didn't have oil pressure on the top end, rotated the motor and got oil pressure on the drivers side but not the passenger side...... and kept rotating it.....nothing,,,was real careful assembling it. but I am human and may have over looked something. can I have installed a head gasket backwards or upside down blocking oil passage? or is my cam bearing the only other reason for only passenger side to have no oil pressure? looking to see if anyone has ever come across this, before I tear it back out and tear down...
any helpful hints????????

Only one side at a time oils. While your priming, you have to rotate as you go.

Are you running stock rocker shafts? Did you get them on correctly?

There is a notch on one end/one side, it has to be to the front and down on the driver side, and to the rear and down on the passenger side.

Check them and report back.

cam has to rotate around to oil each bank/head as stated above by bad sport.

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

ok, I figured it out, I rotated just past the area for the pass. side kept rotating while the wife primed the engine...whewwww!!! I feel a lot better. I know I checked this stuff out, put has been since summer and couldn't remember... thanks guys. off to go order more comp cams break in oil....

-
Back