Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just fired my newly rebuilt
360 and the oil pressure pegged at 100
lbs on my aftermarket gage. Is there
a way to check if my oil pump relief
valve is stuck? Any ideas?

What oil weight did you use? Pressure should come down when it's warmed up.

Fresh rebuild? Was it at 100 psi when breaking it in? What RPM was it at?

Yes it went to 100 right away. Broke it in for
30 min at 2500-2800 rpm

What oil do you use (grade) and what oil filter? Usually a bad oil filter shows low oil pressure. Are you getting your pressure reading from the port in the back by the distributor?

I am using Brad Penn break in oil (30wt)
I am using the port by the distribitor

You're right. May be a skosh high, but if he's running a 50 he can go down to a 30 and lower the pressure.

I figure the high is probably just from break in/break in oil. He hasn't mentioned what grade yet. But figuring for break in and 10psi per 1000rpm I bet it will make 60-70psi at idle. Mine makes 60 cold, 50 warmed up, 40 hot. So I see no problem with that. Good oiling in my opinion.

Excessive oil pressure, probably stuck relief valve in pump....I think there was a bad batch of pumps a while back if I remember correctly.

I use the same Break in oil with a high volume pump and near never got anything like that. I'd consider it a red flag. My 2...

How tight were the clearances? I ran mine on the Tight side and had 80 cold 45 hot and 75 hot wot.

Jake

The pressure sensor port is after the filter so a plugged filter would not show excess pressure if the filter was not flowing right. Tight bearings also will not cause this degree of pressure; the relief valve is right in the pump and high pressures downline will activate the relief valve

Bottom line: 100 psi won't happen with 30 weight oil and a working pressure relief valve. The pump should be pulled and the relief valve examined. Look to see if the piston is put in backwards.

Thanks for all the replies. I am running a NAPA
Gold 1348 small filter without the 90 degree adapter

If it doesn't blow the filter apart, it's ok.

Bottom line: 100 psi won't happen with 30 weight oil and a working pressure relief valve. The pump should be pulled and the relief valve examined. Look to see if the piston is put in backwards.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You've never answered the question about what the pressure is hot at idle. Does it drop any?

You've never answered the question about what the pressure is hot at idle. Does it drop any?

That's what I'm still waiting for. 100PSI at 3k RPM on break-in is not really a surprise to me. Oiling at idle after break in is more important.

090 mopar shorty oil filter $6.29 at Walmart on every small block I have- from wife's Durango to my stroker motor with headers and NO 90° ( in my opinion just another spot for a leak)

Thanks for all the replies. I am running a NAPA
Gold 1348 small filter without the 90 degree adapter

Have you verified with a different gauge? I passionately hate troubleshooting on bad indication.

090 mopar shorty oil filter $6.29 at Walmart on every small block I have- from wife's Durango to my stroker motor with headers and NO 90° ( in my opinion just another spot for a leak)
That's what I'm still waiting for. 100PSI at 3k RPM on break-in is not really a surprise to me. Oiling at idle after break in is more i.[/nQUOTE]
Sorry guys I have not got it to idle at less than 1500 rpm
so far .No drop in pressure at 1500 rpm.I will verify gage
today. It immediatly pegs the gage on start up

Sorry guys at 1500 rpm which is the lowest
I can get it idle so far the gage is still
pegged. I plan to verify gage too.

-
Back