oil priming engine

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
I am about ready to prime up the oiling system in my 273 which is already installed in the car. Will I have any trouble getting my priming shaft into the oil pump with the engine in the car? I know to put a gauge on the block and rotate the crankshaft while running the priming drill with the valve covers off. I was told I should have done all this on the engine stand and I didn't, just wondering if I screwed up-----------------again--------------
DRO:)

You should have enough room to do it.. Make sure you have a long enough priming shaft.. Should be 5/16 hex

We managed to do so in an early A body which is tighter so you should be OK. Jakcing up the rear of the trans would help the angle if need be. We used a long 5/16" round steel rod and beat a hex shape into one end with a hammer on an anvil. Not a perfect fit but it worked A-OK for priming.

Thanks to all who responded. I am getting close and getting nervous about heating up the electrical system after all the mods. Don't want to see the smoke escape. My buddy had one that wouldn't oil the top end, defective Mr gskt head gaskets which I put on my build--------what could possibly go wrong here--------------------O:)

To correctly answer the question, it would be helpful to know what kind of car the engine is in. Unless I missed it, you did not provide that information.

turn eng with 1&1/4 socket/breaker bar (pull plugs for easier turning) to 20 deg ATDC #6 firing & preoil DR side then come on around CW to 90 deg BTDC #1 firing & preoil PASS side. CW with the drill. then reinstall the dist & turn housing so the magnet dead even with the tooth that places the #2 cap terminal over the rotor.

I you need extra clearance, you could possibly hose clamp a small piece of rubber hose to the end of the priming tool for a wobble socket.
Also if you have an air drill is normally alot smaller that an electric one if available.

I made my tool years ago, cut the gear off a oil pump shaft, welded a la pushrod to it.
No dollars spent.

-
Back