Oil priming problems, magnum manifolds?

-

plymthmopar71

Reaction score
just built my 318 not too long ago and i finally got around to finishing it up and when i went to prime the motor for oil, only the passenger side head had oil coming out; driver side is dry as a bone.

specs: 318 bored .040''
shaved heads .020''
roller lifters cam etc..
edlebrock dual plane manifold
closed chamber J heads
motor came out of a mid to late 80s van, had center point injection, i swap over to a carb set up.
etc..

question #1 i have mainly is does it matter which head goes on either side, and if so, what/ where are the markings that indicate so?

question #2 i was told that the magnum manifolds work great for flow and save room and keep a nice stock look to the car, i am not sure though that there is enough room with the stock mounts for them to fit, has any one here ever attempted this on an a body?

Thanks! :blackeye:

while turning the oil pump...slowly rotate the engine...the heads only get only went the oil holes in the cam line up with the oil holes in the cam bearing...

just built my 318 not too long ago and i finally got around to finishing it up and when i went to prime the motor for oil, only the passenger side head had oil coming out; driver side is dry as a bone.

specs: 318 bored .040''
shaved heads .020''
roller lifters cam etc..
edlebrock dual plane manifold
closed chamber J heads
motor came out of a mid to late 80s van, had center point injection, i swap over to a carb set up.
etc..

question #1 i have mainly is does it matter which head goes on either side, and if so, what/ where are the markings that indicate so?

question #2 i was told that the magnum manifolds work great for flow and save room and keep a nice stock look to the car, i am not sure though that there is enough room with the stock mounts for them to fit, has any one here ever attempted this on an a body?

Thanks! :blackeye:

1,, does not matter...heads fit either side..

The engine has to be rotated in exactly the right place for oil to flow to the rockers. Apparently you had it right for it to flow to the right side. If I'm not mistaken the engine has to be a few degrees past cylinder # 3 TDC compression stroke. In other words get it on TDC of cyl. # 3 on the compression stroke and rotate it a few degrees (approx. 5-10 degrees) and it should pump oil to the drivers side.

Doesn't matter what head goes on what side.

The magnum manifolds are real good flowing manifolds but I don't know if they'll clear in an A-body.

The engine has to be rotated in exactly the right place for oil to flow to the rockers. Apparently you had it right for it to flow to the right side. If I'm not mistaken the engine has to be a few degrees past cylinder # 3 TDC compression stroke. In other words get it on TDC of cyl. # 3 on the compression stroke and rotate it a few degrees (approx. 5-10 degrees) and it should pump oil to the drivers side.

Doesn't matter what head goes on what side.

The magnum manifolds are real good flowing manifolds but I don't know if they'll clear in an A-body.

Awesome. I've been cranking it over so its safe to say I have well over past cylinder 3s tdc a few times. Could it be incorreclty installed can bearings?

Awesome. I've been cranking it over so its safe to say I have well over past cylinder 3s tdc a few times. Could it be incorreclty installed cam bearings?

Yeah, if you've been cranking it, it should be oiling both sides. Incorrectly installed cam bearings or a head gasket that has no oil through port are the only things I can think of that'd cause no oil to one side. Since it's most likely the head gaskets were bought as a pair their less likely to be the problem unless it was defective. You can tell if that's the case real easy by taking off the rocker shaft and running a straight wire down through the oil hole. If it only goes in 4-5" the head gasket is the problem. If it goes in a lot farther (8-10") it's the cam bearings.

I had problem getting oil to one side of the engine ...I also thought head gasket or cam bearing were installed wrong..

What I ddi was start at TDC and turn the damper 1/4 turn then turn the oil pump, and kept doing the same over and over until I got oil on both sides..

Yeah, if you've been cranking it, it should be oiling both sides. Incorrectly installed cam bearings or a head gasket that has no oil through port are the only things I can think of that'd cause no oil to one side. Since it's most likely the head gaskets were bought as a pair their less likely to be the problem unless it was defective. You can tell if that's the case real easy by taking off the rocker shaft and running a straight wire down through the oil hole. If it only goes in 4-5" the head gasket is the problem. If it goes in a lot farther (8-10") it's the cam bearings.

Wow awesome advice man thanks!

-
Back