oil priming

-

iceman

Reaction score
I have a 273 that has been freshened up and has been sitting for a year. I bought an oil priming stick and pulled the distributor. It looks like I need to pull the oil pump drive shaft out and I am not sure how to pull this out? Then do you turn the priming stick clock wise and for how long? Is there anything else I need to know to properly prime the oil?

I use a magnet on a stick from the parts store (3 bucks) or just take a flathead screwdriver and turn the gear while tring to lift the underside with your finger. Hook up a oil gauge and run the shaft with a drill (clockwise I think, it will only work one way) until it gets to 60psi. I did it on my 360 for about 2 mins. If oil reaches the rocker shafts you did something right.

Don't forget oil filter. Dang! How could I be so stupid? Prime it a little and rotate crank a few degrees and prime some more. At least 360* a few degrees at a time. Rotating the crank will oil the whole system, just like it does when it's running.

Thanks for the info. The weather is changing and I am ready to crank up the 67 'cuda.

If it is a good clean engine, a big flat blade screwdriver in the distributor drive slot can get it out when twisted. It will pop up when twisted the right direction. However, I have had some that were so tight that I had to remove the intake, twist with a screwdriver in the distributor slot, and carefully pry up with a small pry bar to get them out.

If yours was freshened up a year ago it shouldn't be too bad.

As far as which way to prime, look at the distributor cap and follow the wires around. The firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 is the direction to spin the pump. It is easier to do it this way than remember if you have a clockwise or counterclockwise rotating distributor when it is still in the car.

-
Back