Oil pump bolts pictures

-

bhthomas83

Reaction score
Building my first 408 stroker and went to grab oil pump bolts to install pump and they were missing. Somehow they got thrown into misc engine bolt drawer. Looked every where for a pic of them can't find one on the net, and I can't remember what they look like. If someone could post a pic of a set and tell me the lengths it would save me a headache of searching whole drawer.

Building my first 408 stroker and went to grab oil pump bolts to install pump and they were missing. Somehow they got thrown into misc engine bolt drawer. Looked every where for a pic of them can't find one on the net, and I can't remember what they look like. If someone could post a pic of a set and tell me the lengths it would save me a headache of searching whole drawer.
Just two simple grade 5 bolts 1 1/2" long...if you still have the factory bolts the heads may look a bit different.

IMG_20171227_184726438.jpg

IMG_20171227_184814126.jpg

See if you can get some grade 5 or grade 8 SAE flat washers to put under the heads so that the force gets applied even to the pump tabs. (SAE flat washers have a smaller OD that standard flat washers.)

The oil pump uses a 3/8" coarse thread by 1 1/2" length bolt...

Where did you get that bottom mounted pump pickup tube?

If your thoughtful...you can unplug the original pickup port and make what he has a dual pickup pump.

That is the single best modification to do when you don't have a 1 inch diameter pick up. And, even if you do, the second pickup still helps.

Since I had the oil pump and pick-up out for pix I decided to inspect the inside of the oil pump... not good.

I'd dress the parts and use it in a street beater but not a race motor. I have a new Melling on the shelf so I'm ok.

and that is not a screen, it is a piece of metal with a bunch of circles in it. a stock pickup used a screen, moroso and canton end some others use a screen. smokey tested pickups and said use a screen - much better than a bunch of circles

The scoring is common... but I have never seen pump gears with chunks out of them like that. That had to be some hard crap that came through there. What was the garbage you found in the pan?

That would go right in the trash here....

that pickup and piece of metal with a bunch of holes did not stop much crap going in. a screen would have done better-do the math. and that rectangle should be centered with the tube-fluid dynamcs

We it went thru two engine failures... first a cam wiped out, went back to the engine shop for a freshen after 18 nights of racing. Then it spun a rod bearing and tossed a rod that took out three more rods and pistons.

I'm not sure if the pickup and pump was disassembled after the cam failure but I can't imagine it wasn't... was built and freshened by a very reputable shop. I bought the engine 10 years after it grenaded. The original builder has some of my new parts at his shop and will hang the new pistons, balance the four replacement rods and hone and wash the block. Another shop repaired the billet crank.

I'm not a big fan of high volume pumps in my engines but I have another NIB m73hv on the shelf... I'm going to ask the engine shop about it. Long story short this this deal was running alky and I believe it had a very heavy oil in it and was run cold causing oil starvation to the #1 rod journal.

Last edited:
that pickup and piece of metal with a bunch of holes did not stop much crap going in. a screen would have done better-do the math. and that rectangle should be centered with the tube-fluid dynamcs

Tube fluid dynamics, it is filling the tube Dynamics. That tube is mounted sideways coming off the bottom of that pump not straight forward.
The tube is in the back of the screen part of the pickup. So under acceleration the tube is getting more oil pushed to it than it would have if it was centered.
Everything under that cover for the pickup is in a vacuum from the suction of the pump.

I want the tube centered in the rectangle left to right-not front to back-da

If you extended the tube halfway out that would make that pick up half as effective. The reason being you would cause the oil coming in to hit that part of the tube that is extended inside to bounce backward. You would have oil coming in hitting and going back while on the other half where the tube is not extended it would continue forward to the tube to be picked up. As it is designed the back wall is an extension of the tube.

-
Back