oil pump fail

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
Well got my car finally runnning good Saturday night oil pressure was good and finally today it was at 20 psi and then dropped to 0.. long story short 2 gauges later pump is gone any suggestions on what I should do while I have my pan off? Should I put a windage tray on it? And what pump to run..info 408 eddy heads ported mp590 cam 11.0 cocomp? Any inputt would be cool I'm pretty upset but nothing would be fun if it wasn't easy...lol

I'd be interested in which oil pump failed and why?!? When I build my stroker, I am planning on using one of these blue printed Melling pumps. They are about three times the price of a regular Melling, but I think the extra insurance is worth it.

Precision Oil Pumps

I have been messin with cars since 1974. I have never seen an oil pump fail that failed all by itself. I am certain that it happens, but it's got to be extremely rare considering that an oil pump is the closest thing to the oil besides the pickup and pan. Long as there's a full pan, it'll pretty much get splash lubed just rollin the car around the yard. In short, I would not stop your investigation at the oil pump.

you sure the drive didn't break or round off? had a caddy that rounded the drive,cause some fool was revving it cold.....

While you have the pan off you should definitely attach one end of a huge chain to the crank and the other end to the pump.... That will save your pump next time.

never thought of the driver breaking but u never know or rounding off ill pull that badnoy off before droppin the pan to see but it might just be the pump fail but weiredest thing me or my dad neber ever herd of a pump ging out ever..but i have that kind of luck tho so i figured it was just my luck ill pull the drive out and see the good news

While you have the pan off you should definitely attach one end of a huge chain to the crank and the other end to the pump.... That will save your pump next time.

:sign5:....oh, I almost spit my coffee at the monitor!!!

I have been messin with cars since 1974. I have never seen an oil pump fail that failed all by itself. I am certain that it happens, but it's got to be extremely rare considering that an oil pump is the closest thing to the oil besides the pickup and pan. Long as there's a full pan, it'll pretty much get splash lubed just rollin the car around the yard. In short, I would not stop your investigation at the oil pump.

Same here,I never seen a pump go bad by itself! Either foreign material got in the pump and seized the pump and the pump drive snapped or check the pin on the gear. I've never had it happen to me but they do shear.

Put the bad pump in a pan of oil and rotate it by hand and you mite be able to determine wats going on it may be the relief spring or sumthn in that area

Not since 74 for me, but the rest I agree with...

i pulled the dis gearshaft and it dosent look that bad a little wear but looks fine to me so ill be dropping the pan and ill post up what i see thanks moparts and maybe il hook amchain on it to ensure proper function........lol...any more situations let me know the dis shaft gear has to be perfet because it looks a litle rounded but really not bad if thrat matters ill put a new one on and see itit getspressurelol

my old oil gauge went out and i put the new one on to tight and it pinched the line and it hadpressure the ing that made me think is i took itoff and the oil balve n the back of the block shot oil like three feet high so i have pressure but i made the new line on the oil gauge pinched so installed the new one and pressure is fine..lol..my bad

-
Back