Oil Pump Noise?

-
Reaction score
Thanks in advance. I just had a rebuilt 225 instaled, 64 Dart Gt Convertable. When it starts cold, I hear noise for about 5-8 seconds. I'm told that it's because the oil filter is up-side down and empty, and I'm hearing the oil pump running to fill it. Then the noise stops. The old moter didn't do this. Would this be correct?

what you could be hearing is the rockers tapping until they get oil...

next time you take your oil filter off... there should be a "stand pipe" that about 3" long.... that keeps the filter full...

Could be piston slap. If it has hyper pistons with to much piston to wall clearance they will knock for a few. It gets worse when its cold, take a little longer for the noise to stop.

I would be concerned. 5 sec is a long time for engine noise. It sounds like you paid good money to have the engine rebuilt and installed. Take the car back. There are a few ways to check the "no oil" theory. They could pre-fill the oil galley via the oil pressure switch port, using a pressurized bottle (I use a pumped lawn sprayer bottle). That would tell if the problem is from no oil or from warm up. If no noise, look at the stand-pipe suggestions and maybe the relief valve in the oil pump which I think acts as a check valve to prevent drain-back.

-
Back