Oil Pump Problem

-

340demon

old man
Reaction score
put the new eng . in I primed the with a priming tool and a 1/2 drill motor got good pressure and oil to both heads every thing looked good tried to install the new oil pump shaft would not go all the way in wtf so i tried to put the primer shaft back in will only go in about 1/4 " where it went i almost 1" before what am I doing wrong

yes it was but the priming rod does not thuch the bushing I think will have to pull the pan and check the pump out

Sounds like maybe a burr in the pump's hex? Just an idea... sounds weird to me tho...

Try rotating the oil pump with the priming tool, Maybe the slot is off just enough so that the drive gear when installed wont go into the slot due to the cam gear teeth moving the drive gear. I know it sounds weird the way I said it.

This could be a reach but try this. When you pulled the hex shaft out of the oil pump female drive end it could have filled with oil and (hydrauliced) when you go to put the drive shaft back in the oil isn't coming out fast enough. Get yourself a long narrow screw driver and try to draw the oil out of the pump drive end with a rag.

Terry

likely what Terry said - work with the priming tool to work the oil out of the hex and then the shaft should drop in.

well i found the problem tried cleaning out the oil as suggested still had the problem so i pulled the pan and took the oil pump off and the shaft fell into place upon inspection of the pump it was cracked though the bolt hole i think someone was looking out for the old gril an it new eng. buy the way this was a new mopar pump and the mounting area was not flat so i think it may have cracked when I installed it and the thing has a hard spot when you turn it

When assembling, you have to inspect everything. It's a good catch on your part, but it probably should have been caught the first time. It is very easy to not torque the bolts evenly and get it cocked. It may not crack, but is will distort the casting which also is not good. Every oil pump should be taken apart and inspected. Yes, all brand new ones... There's a lot of debris that can be left in them, and the motion of the pressure relief should be tested. Then reassembled and mounted on the engine.

-
Back