Oil pump shaft (intermediate shaft?) play/noise

-

JjyKs

Reaction score
So I've kept investigating the strange knocking/pinging of my car. So far I've checked cylinder pressures, oil, oil pressure, opened oil filter, tested pistons for vertical slack with screwdriver after tdc, flex plate bolts, valvetrain etc. Everything seems completely ok. However today I found out the exactly same noise when I touched my distributor.

The noise is usually present when at idle and cruising at 3000rpm. Here's a video of the issue and the sound: https://youtube.com/shorts/yLpCCzsuVWk (sorry it uploaded to youtube shorts automatically from my phone, Ill fix it when I get home if it doesn't work properly on pc)

So the question: Should there be that kind of play and should it make that kind of noise? If the answer is no, then what should I do to diagnose it further?

Gears have backlash, they need it to function. But that video shows what I'd consider a little much for a helical gear in good shape. I don't know if it would make noise, but it would adversely affect the ignition timing stability. Have you check that with a timing light?

Easy enough to pull it out and check for wear.

How much oil pressure ? With a good HV pump making 60 PSI there should be enough pressure on that gear that it should not bounce back and forth.

To me that seems to be excessive historeeses (play) between those helical gears. I'd pull the oil pump drive gear to see if it needs to be replaced. It could also be that the camshaft gear is worn. There should be little in any play in that gear mesh. 65'

Gears have backlash, they need it to function. But that video shows what I'd consider a little much for a helical gear in good shape. I don't know if it would make noise, but it would adversely affect the ignition timing stability. Have you check that with a timing light?

Not yet, my timing light didn't work. Gotta buy a new lamp for it.

How much oil pressure ? With a good HV pump making 60 PSI there should be enough pressure on that gear that it should not bounce back and forth.
That's a good point, solid +60 all the time.

Easy enough to pull it out and check for wear.

Will do that next time I go to the garage
Is the tower shaft bushing installed?

I don't know, there's no sideways play so it should be I think? I'm not the one who built this this engine but it was done 6 years ago by legitimate machine shop.

To me that seems to be excessive historeeses (play) between those helical gears. I'd pull the oil pump drive gear to see if it needs to be replaced. It could also be that the camshaft gear is worn. There should be little in any play in that gear mesh. 65'

Thanks for the info Ill pull it out and check for damage.

If it is a small block, could be worn cam/thrust plate.

With all the "that's too excessive" comments, I have to ask, do yall KNOW what the gear backlash spec is, or are you just throwing out bullshit?

With all the "that's too excessive" comments, I have to ask, do yall KNOW what the gear backlash spec is, or are you just throwing out bullshit?

Like I said, If it has 60+ psi oil pressure that gear is not going to make any rattling sounds.

I believe the early V8s all "fit", but there were 3 diff length of shafts.
Perhaps it has the wrong distributor .

Here is an adapter to use any late model small block mopar (318,340 etc.) distributor in early Mopar hemi motors. These fit chrysler, desoto, etc. All of the mopars use the same size distributor base circle, what changes is the length of the shaft drive that connects the distributor to the intermediate shaft that runs the oil pump.

early mopar hemi distributor adapter 331,354,392 • $36.15

Last edited:
According to the FSM camshaft end play should be 0 002-0.006 Max Allowable of 0.010" with that, intermediate shaft mesh clearance is not listed that I can find. 65'

-
Back