oil pump

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Next IS THE OIL PUMP,Should I get an HV pump or stock,does the HV cause oil leaks,thinking too much pressure.

I like running the HV and HP spring... If you get the Mellings, they all come with a 72 psi spring...

You will have to bang out the oil pan with a ball peen hammer a bit for the HV pump to fit, it is slightly taller than the stock pan... I like to make sure that I can get it flush with the oil pan rail without a gasket, then it will be ok with the gasket on...

Also make sure to get the heavy duty hardened distributor drive gear or the stock ones may break....

You might also make sure the strainer mesh is tight in the pickup and there are no cracks in the tube or threads before you install.

Melling stock replacement m72.
HV will eat up some horsepower and yield nothing in return for your application. If you had a real loose clearanced build or serious rpms, you might consider an HV oil pump. Get a deep sump pan with a baffle if you don't have one already.

Yup. Even Garlits said of race engines, "run um loose with lots of oil pressure" yours ain't a race engine.

You have several choices here. Stock is for granny cars with a 4 QT pan . High pressure is for loose clearances and a 4 1/2 qt pan or larger. High volume is for performance engines on street or track . However a high volume pump MUST be accompanied with a large volume pan or there is a danger of sucking the pan dry . Lastly, high volume/high pressure is for all out racing. Remember: high pressure is the RESISTANCE TO FLOW, not how much oil is getting where it needs to be. Good luck !

The above post has some significant misconceptions. The below applies to the SBM pumps:
1. The HV pump has the pump capacity to pump ONLY 18-20% more than the stock version for the SBM design. That difference is set by the relative height of the impellers. It is not a big difference. Other types pump designs can have a much greater difference in HV versus standard flows. However pump capacity is NOT actual flow into the engine.
2. The pressure will be limited by the relief spring in either model beyond a certain RPM.
3. In the SBM, the pressure limit of the relief springin conjunction with the clearances in the engine sets the actual flow out of the pump into the engine. So with the same relief spring in both pumps, the flow into the engine WILL BE THE SAME at any RPM where both pumps have reached the relief spring's pressure limit.
4. In the SBM oil pump design, the excess oil bypassed by the relief spring simply reflows around inside the pump, so there is no oil lost there that can help run the pan dry.
5. Due to 2-4 above, you are no more likely to run the sump dry with either pump.
6. For a given set of engine clearances, the HV pressure will be higher ONLY at low RPM's, before the relief spring is not open. This is the ONLY area of engine operation where the HV pump makes any difference vs the standard pump for the SBM pump designs. So the HV pump offers higher pressure at idle and low RPM's, and thus more oil flow into the engine at idle low RPM's. This MIGHT give better wear resistance for a street and cruiser engine. And it will obviously help pressure a bit on larger clearanced engines.

Next IS THE OIL PUMP,Should I get an HV pump or stock,does the HV cause oil leaks,thinking too much pressure.
The maximum pressure is set by the relief spring, not by the pump volume. As krazykuda noted, the 72 psi limit spring or the 55 psi spring can go in either pump.

a rebuilt engine with a stock pan and under 6000 rpm go stock volume pump. the hi volume pump has rotors that are 25% longer, and if clearances are larger than stock, like what we do for rods and mains in a race engine,can suck up and pump out more oil, and as rpms go up for any length of time, a 4 quart pan can get sucked dry. I have been there

-
Back