oil recommendations

-

1966 valiant

Reaction score
ok the only dumb question is one that is not asked. I'm new to having an engine with a medium cam. My motor is a 318 magnum with a purple cam. I bought my 66 valiant with this setup installed. It is time for me to do my first oil change on this car. I know I want an oil with a high level of zinc. My question is what do others recommend? I'm not racing but do a lot of freeway driving. Right now I have 5 quarts of Rotella T 10w30. I have never used Rotella in a vehicle before. Will this oil be sufficiant or should I go with something else? Thanks in advance for any input on this thread.

You should be just fine with the Rotella got a friend that has been using it for years in a flat tappet 440 no issues to speak of...i ran it in my 416 too..

15w50 Mobil-1 , been running it in my 340's for around 15 years.

Torn one down last year to freshen it up and add a bigger cam and ported aluminum heads and it was clean inside and the bearings showed very little wear.

I think you can Use whatever oil you want, but just add a zinc additive like comp cams offers and you'll be fine.

ok the only dumb question is one that is not asked. I'm new to having an engine with a medium cam. My motor is a 318 magnum with a purple cam. I bought my 66 valiant with this setup installed. It is time for me to do my first oil change on this car. I know I want an oil with a high level of zinc. My question is what do others recommend? I'm not racing but do a lot of freeway driving. Right now I have 5 quarts of Rotella T 10w30. I have never used Rotella in a vehicle before. Will this oil be sufficiant or should I go with something else? Thanks in advance for any input on this thread.

How much camshaft, how much open & on the nose, valve spring psi? I like the Brad Penn, possibly on one, of the two VR1 engine oils? Myself personally, Brad Penn.
(Need to learn to read Petroleum Institute designations, & p.p.m 's on zinc & phosphorus.) Mopar Action, had stand up article, on this.

VR1 10w/30w then you don't have to worry about mixing anything. Plus the oil has anti foaming agents for higher reving engines.

BRAD PENN hands down worth every penny, no additive needed. the additive you buy doesn't mix with the oil in my experience. Valvoline VR1 racing oil is next best.

10W-40 Pennzoil with a can of STP added for Zinc and wear prevention during every oil change. Been doing this for EVER and have had 0 pproblems..

Why ad Zinc to oil when you can buy oil that already has Zinc in it.....If you think adding Zinc is a cure all, then you are sadly mistaken.

I saw a super stock guy using vr1 and he said it's the best he's used, also he was running in the 8s so I trust him.

hey 1966 valiant-purple cam in a magnum engine? U say it needs zinc so I guess u went non-roller lifter, why? hey GEO- I remember that sweet babe in your picture from back in the day-any info on her?

VR1 my engine builder told me to use , and that"s all he uses on all the engines he builds.I use it on my cars with and without roller cams. I heard "don't know if its true" that Rotella uses less zinc in their oil. which is not good for flat tappet cams.

well you can believe what you want just because rotella dosent have a p;retty bottle and over priced dosent make it not good . i use it in all my engines some with over 20,000 hours and i get my oil tested every change and it passes with flying colors below normal engine wear these tests will tell any problems with an engine or if your oil is failing so i have no worries what so ever .

well you can believe what you want just because rotella dosent have a p;retty bottle and over priced dosent make it not good . i use it in all my engines some with over 20,000 hours and i get my oil tested every change and it passes with flying colors below normal engine wear these tests will tell any problems with an engine or if your oil is failing so i have no worries what so ever .

I think all oils are over priced! including rotella! I used to use rotella but changed when I heard that about less zinc. Again I don't know how true that is But the VR1 I buy from autozone is $6.15 a quart only about a $1.50 more then rotella. At 5 quarts That's $7.50 For piece of mind. ill lay the extra coin. Don't hate me for it. I don't doubt the rotella is good stuff. That's what I run In my cummings diesel work truck with 250k on it.

-
Back