Oil slinger in big block???

-

Budgetmoparman

Reaction score
I am finishing up the assembly on my 440 and I noticed there isn't an oil slinger on the crank. This is my first big block so I just want to make sure, is it supposed to have an oil slinger or is that small block only?

they are on big and small blocks. it's a good idea to have one a street motor but not needed on a race motor.
Yes, Big Blocks Had them. Be sure to put it on the right direction, so it wont interfere with the chain,if your using one. Slight angle on out side dia. flange pointed toward the front.

I never run them any more on a stock or race rebuild. They will press against some of the new front seals and shove the crankshaft back against the thrust bearing causing the thrust to go very early. Never had a front seal leak without them.

I never run them any more on a stock or race rebuild. They will press against some of the new front seals and shove the crankshaft back against the thrust bearing causing the thrust to go very early. Never had a front seal leak without them.
street hemis came out w/ them too. something wrong or mismatched if it shoved the crank back.

This motor came out of a motorhome and it didn't have one in it. I wasn't sure if I needed it or not. It seems to be a split decision about it. I guess since it didn't have one in it before then I am not going to worry about it. Thanks for the help.

I'm thinking seals have become higher quality and can handle more abuse. I would trust a rear seal to leak long before a front. That said, it would be a real pisser the front seal fails on a road trip. Omitting the slinger "may" increase probability.
FWIW, oil slingers are used on some differentials..............
oil slinger on differential - Bing images

Your call.

-
Back