Oil Slinger.

-

Black_Betty

Reaction score
I recently acquired a .030 over 1966 383. It has made 4 passes since the rebuild. I had no clue what kind of cam was in it so I decided to pull it out and see. When I took the timing chain cover off, I noticed that there was a nice new double roller chain and gears. That was nice, but I also noticed that there was no oil slinger installed. Is that typically not installed with a double roller or was that an oversight by the previous owner?:error:

I really like for them to be in there. Have tore down a few they were missing in.

Over sight. Install the slinger. All of the bottom gears/sprockets are the same thickness so there is no reason not to install it. Probably forgotten.

As said if you have one and it fits with that timing set then yeah go ahead & toss er in there. Was a discussion on whether it was an "oil slinger" which is how it is referred to (maybe for good reason!) or if it is to help keep oil from going past the seal & seal quality is far better than it was "back in the day". many are Ok without them & yes sometimes people forget them on the bench when going back together

I never run them anymore. Two times now I have checked engines, built by others, before running on the dyno, where the 'oil slinger' was pressing against the damper seal inside the timing cover. Checked the #3 main bearing thrust and the oil slinger acted like a spring and it would push the crank up tight against the thrust surface. Had we run those engines like that it would have immediately wipe out the #3 bearing.

I drill a .030-.040 hole in the oil galley plug behind the cam gear to spray oil directly on the timing gear/chain to keep it lubed and have no damper seal leaks without that "slinger".

As said if you have one and it fits with that timing set then yeah go ahead & toss er in there. Was a discussion on whether it was an "oil slinger" which is how it is referred to (maybe for good reason!) or if it is to help keep oil from going past the seal & seal quality is far better than it was "back in the day". many are Ok without them & yes sometimes people forget them on the bench when going back together

Early seals were not as good indeed, newer seals like the lube and if you don't lube your seal well and do install the slinger it could get worse....

-
Back