Oil use issue------

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
I have the 67 notch on the road and have been tweaking the entire car as I put a few miles on it. I noticed abnormally high oil consumption and today I changed the oil & plugs & noticed the exhaust spitting raw oil out the tailpipe. I unhooked the PCV valve and the raw oil spitting stopped. Note, the pcv valve is new as well as the fresh carb kit. The engine is a 273 2V w/904. What the heck would cause this???? Any insight appreciated.
TIA-Rat

Bone stock valve covers, new grommet and new PCV valve with new hose to vacume source under carb. Has me baffled, my machinest says to put a brass potscrubber into the hole but I don't know. I am currently running the car with the hose plugged and the PCV valve unhooked and oil consumption is normal.

If you don't have a baffle around the PCV opening in the valve cover, it'll do exactly what is happening here. Take the valve cover off and look at the inside of it. This happened to a friend of mine. The baffle keeps the oil away from the PCV valve so it is just sucking in air not oil.

Don

-
Back