Oily wall

-
Reaction score
Hi, I've noticed a strange thing in my 69 Dart that I would like some help on if possible. I've noticed that after a drive when I return home and pop the hood, there is a spray of oil on the wall next to the alternator. I wipe it up and the next few times I drive it, the oil spray is there again. Could anyone tell me where the oil is coming from and what causes it?

thanks,
Joel

My guess would be- powersteering pump leaking-being slung by belt?
front cranks seal slung by belt?
dipstick leak ^ ^ ^ fan? doubtful
valvecover leak ^ ^ ^ ^
fuelpump leak ^ ^ ^ ^

You need to state the engine type and accessories. Photos would help. Ditto on power steering fluid or maybe AC oil. Look for oily pulleys and see what fluid levels are dropping. Glycol coolant can also leave an oily residue, so could be from a pinhole leak in a heater hose.

Sorry, I should have added more detail. I will try and get a pic of it. My Dart is pretty much stock with a 340 engine. I do have performance valve covers and wondered if it was coming from there, but I will check the pulleys to see if that is what is going on.

Well turns out it was the belt slinging the oil on the wall. Going to need to check the seals and stop the constant oil bleeding.

-
Back