Ok…..basic ‘I should know this….’ question!!

-

V24x2

Reaction score
Ok, so my mind is baffled. I installed a cam at +4degrees per the timing recommendations, and my FBO limiter plate people suggest I set my timing at 18 degrees initial. Soooo so I set it at 14….18…..or 22 degrees initial?? Been a minute since I messed w this stuff and prior to, all my cams were set ‘straight up!’

For what ever it's worth TDC is still TDC regardless of what the cam is set to.

Set the initial where you want, then play with it.

I’ve been playing w it, but I’m starting to feel like if I had the correct initial timing that ‘tuning it in’ would be a little less guesswork!!

You might start at 16 initial and see how that performs.

If you are looking for 36 all in, and you're thinking 16 initial, then set the plate at 20.

If you find you need more initial, you'll need to adjust the plate.

Before you get too far "down that road" I'd post what exactly cam this is and what folks recommend to run it for "degree." Just blindly setting it to so called +whatever is A no guarantee that is where you want it for performance of your combination, and B---no guarantee with machining tolerances, that is actually where it is set. In other words you should "degree it" and there are LOTS of videos and other "how to's" on the internet as to how.

In general, cam timing of +4 degrees has NOTHING to do with ignition timing.

If they suggested 18 degrees, try it. It's not hard to move it if it needs an adjustment.

I run very light springs or a locked dist. if a race car and time total
advance and let initial advance fall wherever it does.

What cam are you running?
Crane 693802
.467/.494
278/290 duration
222/234 @050

this was a simple cam swap in the driveway into a semi tired 340 motor. I might have too light of springs on the advance weights….maybe go 1 light/1 medium!

Perfect! Time it like any other ol car, don’t worry about the 4 degrees added with the cam swap! This is what I needed to know….Thankyou!

Perfect! Time it like any other ol car, don’t worry about the 4 degrees added with the cam swap! This is what I needed to know….Thankyou!

Did you actually degree the cam or just line it up on the 4 degree advance marks.

-
Back