ok 2 more wiring questions for /6 to 318 conversion

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
i need to hook up the oil pressure wire but cant find where on the 318 eng/trans? i see where it went in the /6 but cant find it now when trying to get the 318/auto to run.

also there USED to be a wire that hung down from the console shifter that attached to the tranny on the /6. now somehow that wire is gone. where did it start from - i can rerun it but have no idea what it went to.

again /6 console shift to 318 auto tranns conversion.

any ideas?

The oil pressure sender on the 318 is under the distributer and behind hte vacuum servo.
Not sure about a single wire switch on the shifter. Reverse lamp switch is 2 wires. Neutral safety is one wire but , on the shifter ? dunno

thanks guys
i see the 2 wires for the reverse lamp i think. where does the neutral safety wire go to? maybe that was it. this wire hung right next to the rod that actuated the shifting mechanism on the tranny. it was attached to a small bolt that was right next to the arm mechanism on the trans linkage. the bolt is prob a 1/4 bolt. i will try to take a pic.

sorry - do i have to pull the dist to put the oil sending line in place - god i hope not!!

also why is there a ground wire on the pass side of the tranny?

you can never have too many ground wires... whoever owned your car before probably thought it was a good idea..... No real need for it, though....

there are two types of oil gauges... mechanical and electrical.. if you want to use the stock type electrical, you'll have to get a sending unit and screw it in...

ah so what kind of oil sending unit does a /6 and a 318 come with stock? i am going to take a pic of the other wire now - well where it used to go!

neutral safety is a single brown wire that runs from the start relay to a switch that screws into the trans. That switch will have 1 post for that 1 wire or 3 posts , 2 for reverse lamps , depending on year model. Hope this helps

I don't have my oil pressure gauge hooked up yet.. I haven't even bought gauges yet :D so i can't tell you what the sending unit for an electrical gauge looks like... mechanical gauges physically send oil to the gauge to measure pressure..

stock gauges are electric

ok here are some pics:
thanks everyone for the help.

cable.jpg

cable-2.jpg

oil-unit.jpg

shifter.jpg

maybe I am just looking at it wrong but I thought the slide bar should be forward when not kicked down?

im gonna have the same problems to im doing the same conversion

I think that switch on the tranny is the neutral safety switch. The "missing" brown wire probably didn't come from the shifter, but was merely tied somewhere near it. If I'm right, the wire came from the starter relay up in the engine bay, and if you dont replace it, the car won't turn over.

That looks like the right position for the oil pressure sender, but on my 68 Barracuda, it is much bigger, about 1 inch dameter and 1 and 1/2 inches high. Maybe that is a switch for an oil pressure light? if so it wont run a guage. The wire should have a clip that attaches to the top of the unit. You should not have to remove the distributer to install the oil pressure, but you may have to loosen it and turn it to get the vacuum advance out of the way.

You're right poppa, I just went to look at mine, and if that is in idle and tranny in park the pin should be at the back of the slide.

-
Back