ok to convert 10 x 1 3/4 drums to 11 x 2 1/2 on '72 dart?

-
along with the new axles...you need to get the correct backing plates for the drums you want to run...

in fact ...make sure you tell who ever you are getting the axles from...what backing plates you are going to use.....

Good grief those brakes are expensive!!!!

I paid $80 for a set of loaded 11x2.5" backing plates from another seller on eBay. Yeah, I still had to buy drums but those are like $50 a piece.

But yes, with a set of 11x2.5" brakes and a set of BBP axles you should be fine. Call DrDiff, he'll set you straight.

along with the new axles...you need to get the correct backing plates for the drums you want to run...

in fact ...make sure you tell who ever you are getting the axles from...what backing plates you are going to use.....

Thanks Tony. The description of the drums in the link I posted states, "THESE BACKING PLATES ARE THE STANDARD 5 BOLT PATTERN,,,THEY ALSO FIT THE LATER 4 BOLT HOUSING FLANGES.. THEY FIT FROM 1960s THRU 1980s .."

Any reason these shouldn't work? Thanks again!

D - Just a couple of thoughts, those are very expensive. I used Ebay and found a complete setup of 11" brakes for $78 less the drums. I bought the drums from RockAuto for I believe $45 each shipped. And No, no reason they shouldn't work.

Good grief those brakes are expensive!!!!

I paid $80 for a set of loaded 11x2.5" backing plates from another seller on eBay. Yeah, I still had to buy drums but those are like $50 a piece.

But yes, with a set of 11x2.5" brakes and a set of BBP axles you should be fine. Call DrDiff, he'll set you straight.

Much appreciated! I will hunt down Dr. Diff and see what he can help me with.

Any idea how to find this gentleman I have read so much about?

Dr Diff...or Cass is his name...Great guy...you can not go wrong with him....

I'll second that . Dr diff also has 10''x2 1/2'' new loaded backing plates with drums for $350 for the pair. Something to think about.One stop shopping.

Awesome comments gentleman. I deeply appreciate your knowledge and experience to help out new Mopar guys on the block.

You can also remove the whole assy from most any 80s diplomat or other f body at most any junkyard. Would still need to be rebuilt, drums turned ect, but deff cheaper. Also the 11 inch rear drums are heavy, and probally overkill on the street.

Yep, Dr.Diff is the place you want to contact
I did this conversion on m 71 Dart. Got the conversion kit from Classic Performance and axles from Dr.Diff, however I think its cheaper to buy verything from Dr

And don't forget, when you swap to the BBP, your rear track is going to be wider, so be carefull with your wheel offsets.

the conversion brought mine out 3/4" on each side
Obviously the brakes are 3/4" wider, and that's exactly how much it moved everything outward

Thanks for all the comments. I called Dr Diff and have new axles and rear drums on the way. Should go nicely with the new 3.55 gear and 2,800 stall. Next are new steals with dog dish caps. Just need to find a place that does custom steal wheels.

So if I understand this correctly, when I put 11x2.5" inch brakes on the rear of my 68 B'cuda when I swap in the 8-3/4... Swapping to 11 inch backing plates and drums from my parts stash, will not simply work with my original sbp axles if I re-drill them for bbp? I have not looked at it closely yet since it is about a year away, but with that, I'm assuming the wheel mounting surface is out further for 11x 2.5" brakes, not just a deeper backing plate? If so, then I'll get the spare axles I have for the Fury cut/re-splined.

Upgrading rear brakes can also tilt the brake bias in the car to the rear brakes. Which could make them lockup earlier than the fronts, specially on wet roads. You don't want that.

An adj. pressure valve in the rear line can solve this, but upgrading the front brakes would be a better option overall.

So if I understand this correctly, when I put 11x2.5" inch brakes on the rear of my 68 B'cuda when I swap in the 8-3/4... Swapping to 11 inch backing plates and drums from my parts stash, will not simply work with my original sbp axles if I re-drill them for bbp? I have not looked at it closely yet since it is about a year away, but with that, I'm assuming the wheel mounting surface is out further for 11x 2.5" brakes, not just a deeper backing plate? If so, then I'll get the spare axles I have for the Fury cut/re-splined.

correct, you cannot use the BBP backing plates with the SBP axles. A body 8 3/4 axles have a different offset than everything else. If you buy BBP axles, or respline your fury axles, they will have the correct offset to work with the BBP drums.

Thought so - thanks. Between the 11x2.5 out back and the 73 factory discs I'm putting up front, I should have no issues stopping the 383 I'm putting in.....one year in the not too distant future (I hope).....

I've got big C-body rotors and calipers on the front and 10x2.5" drums on the rear, but my car's brakes are still rear biased.
The best solution would be installing smaller diameter brake cylinders.

-
Back