OK to Use???

-

Blucuda413

Reaction score
I have a 727 reverse pattern transmission that has been stored for the last 25 years. It was working fine when I switched to a PG. Plans now call for it to be used behind a Procharged 360 which I will be building shortly. Will be a street car not raced. Question is should there be any special maintenance on the 727 prior to it's use?? It has been stored with trans fluid in just as it was removed from the car.

Twenty-five years is a long time, so I would at the very least pop the pan off for a quick look and an air-pressure test. Because I have the tools and the knowledge, for myself, I would tear it down completely. A gasket set is cheap, compared to an RnR later.

I have a 727 reverse pattern transmission that has been stored for the last 25 years

Believe it or not, i just did exactly this more or less..... While i have to say, I agree with AJ/FormS 100 percent.... I have a 727 with an old TransAction RVB, sitting since 2003 with 40 1/4 mile runs on it.... We put in a bracket car and ran it 20 more 1/4 mile runs @ 12.5/110...... no leaks, no drips, no errors lol. A testament to decent construction I'm sure. If I were you, I would at least roll it around to get everything wet with trans fluid again to soak the internals, if you dont plan to have a look at it internally.

Mine sat that long, only issue was the dipstick seal and shift seal.

-
Back