Ok Tranny Guys - Need advice on rebuild

-

MoparGirl

Reaction score
The 340 is ready to put in the Dodge but since I just spent so much $$ on the engine, thought I should rebuild/upgrade the transmission as well. Also, I don't know any history of the car so I'm thinking good idea to "freshen it up."

The tranmission is a 904, nothing special about it; right now it is as it came from the factory. I know there are rebuild kits and such but really have no idea what I'm looking at. Also, should I keep the orig. torque converter? If not, what stall?

The car will be used mostly street, not strip...although I wouldn't mind just taking it to see what it can do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :-D

I am not a transmission expert, but there are certain upgrades I would recommend. Depending on what kickdown linkage and carburetor you are using, you might want to go with a manual valve body. They make other valve bodies that use the kickdown linkage but increase shift pressure. Torque converter will depend on the engine, camshaft, carburetor and rear gears if you can use the stock one. I would go with parts from A+A or Cope Transmissions, I have had good customer service. They have better clutch materials than stock. A deep transmission pan would also be recommended. There are more internal parts you could use, depending on your application and how much you have to spend.

Good question, Girl, I'm in the same boat. New motor in, stupidly (I think) damaged the front pump while installing the engine. Transmission is out now for a looksee, also thinking about a Transgo Shift Kit.

MoparGirl, you just opened a can of worms. There are all kinds of people that will tell you that you need this and that and the latest trick part from here. In 40 years of ownership I never had any problems with a stock Chrysler automatic until I started adding aftermarket goodies. Do yourself a favor and do a stock rebuild with Chrysler parts and you will have a transmission that will do all you need on the street for as long as you need it to. That's my $.02.

Mopargirl how much horsepower is your 340 and how big is the cam? If it's not over 400 hp you only need good replacement clutches and bands and a good rebuild. Good meaning the person blueprints it by replacing all clutch plates, steel plates, bands, seals, thrust washers, bushings and sets all the clearances properly. A Trans-Go TF-1 or TF-2 shift improver kit is a great addition. Won't make it slam the gears in but they'll be firm to prevent clutch plate slippage and will make the trans live longer. I asked about the cam size because that's mostly what dictates what size stall converter you need. If it's a stock or just barely oversize cam you don't need a high stall. If you can find out the cam brand and part # that'd tell me all I need to know to recommend a converter.

I buy my parts from www.bulkpart.com cause they have the best parts the cheapest I've found and their service is top notch. They don't have kits so you have to add all the parts. If you want I can make out a list of what you'll need. Just PM me if interested and I'll PM you back. Please include the year of your trans if you do PM me. BTW: I've rebuilt numerous Torqueflites (as well as GM's) over the past 27 yrs. so I'm real familiar with them.

Tracy

deffinately do a rebuild , i build my own trannys so i can rebuild one for under 70 bucks using the trans parts supply to rebuild it, i dont care for the trans go shift kits but a b&m trans pak or similar is a good idea, be sure to replace the front pump bushing and tailshaft bushing to avoid leaks, if you can try and build it yourself with a manual its not that hard, i learned when i was 16 cuz i kept burning them up and rebuilding them weekly til i learned. i had a 904 with a boss hogg converter, it was in the trunk when i bought the car, anyways it worked pretty good. good luck

Mopargirl how much horsepower is your 340 and how big is the cam? If it's not over 400 hp you only need good replacement clutches and bands and a good rebuild. Good meaning the person blueprints it by replacing all clutch plates, steel plates, bands, seals, thrust washers, bushings and sets all the clearances properly. A Trans-Go TF-1 or TF-2 shift improver kit is a great addition. Won't make it slam the gears in but they'll be firm to prevent clutch plate slippage and will make the trans live longer. I asked about the cam size because that's mostly what dictates what size stall converter you need. If it's a stock or just barely oversize cam you don't need a high stall. If you can find out the cam brand and part # that'd tell me all I need to know to recommend a converter.

I buy my parts from www.bulkpart.com cause they have the best parts the cheapest I've found and their service is top notch. They don't have kits so you have to add all the parts. If you want I can make out a list of what you'll need. Just PM me if interested and I'll PM you back. Please include the year of your trans if you do PM me. BTW: I've rebuilt numerous Torqueflites (as well as GM's) over the past 27 yrs. so I'm real familiar with them.

Tracy

PM'd you. Thanks!

-
Back