Old 360 heads

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 6 old 360 heads I’ve inherited over the last 2 decades. 4 of them have hardened seats. Are they worth anything more than scrap value? Even my W2s are vastly outdated today!

I have 6 old 360 heads I’ve inherited over the last 2 decades. 4 of them have hardened seats. Are they worth anything more than scrap value? Even my W2s are vastly outdated today!
2.02/1.6 heads are still worth saving, that doesnt mean people wont offer you scrap prices for them.

they are worth the most locally (which isn't much in the described condition). Shipping almost always kills the sell of these. IF they were completely freshened up, ready to bolt on, then it would be different.

they are worth the most locally (which isn't much in the described condition). Shipping almost always kills the sell of these. IF they were completely freshened up, ready to bolt on, then it would be different.
Kinda what I figured as I was eyeing them for a scrap metal run.

I'll run em! For a street strip car even the 1.88 valve heads are workable. It really depends on your power range expectations. If you want a full race 10 sec car yea there not gonna be useful but for a fun street car they are not bad heads. And certainly not garbage or doorstops!

I still have no idea why people think good heads are scrap. I talked with a guy at the Red Barns swap meet this weekend that scrapped a coupe dozen heads because he was moving, typical 906 big block heads, I would have taken them for scrap value in a heartbeat!

I love my several sets of 894 X castings....and big block 1967 (915) ....big heavy power makers!!

I’d take those vastly outdated W2 heads if mbaird decides he doesn’t want them. I love the obsolete.

I'll run em! For a street strip car even the 1.88 valve heads are workable. It really depends on your power range expectations. If you want a full race 10 sec car yea there not gonna be useful but for a fun street car they are not bad heads. And certainly not garbage or doorstops!
10 second car is obtainable with cast iron heads but the problem is even stock cast iron heads once rebuilt are going to be more pricey than a set of speedmasters on Black Friday...
I'm using a set of freshened 360 heads on my next build but if I didn't have those leftover from my duster I just buy some speedmasters..

What I've run into with aged heads, especially the lager valve type heads have the seat pounded into them, the guides are shot and typically all the valves need replaced. Unless you have your own shop and equipment, farming this out gets pricey for two heads, especially if you live in a high rent area. Then factor the shop doing the work, is it a performance shop or a guy who builds farm truck 350 Chevy's by knurling everything in sight to make up clearances.

10 second car is obtainable with cast iron heads but the problem is even stock cast iron heads once rebuilt are going to be more pricey than a set of speedmasters on Black Friday...
I'm using a set of freshened 360 heads on my next build but if I didn't have those leftover from my duster I just buy some speedmasters..
I have three sets 2 596 castings and one set of 915 j heads i am considering getting some speedmasters for my next build my current 360 has a set of worked 596s im happy with them so far.

I have three sets 2 596 castings and one set of 915 j heads i am considering getting some speedmasters for my next build my current 360 has a set of worked 596s im happy with them so far.
I'm actually very happy with my 596 heads and paid more than a set of speedmasters to have them rebuilt..(before I knew better) but they're goin on a truck where weight isn't as large of a factor..

The iron heads were all we had. And they worked good! They are just as good now as they were then. This aluminum fetish is fine also. Take your choice.

But the iron heads are not scrap. Just need a local buyer. Run and ad and wait, they will sell. I sold some small valve SB 915’s and there were multiple interested folks.

I won’t be buying any aluminum heads for anything.

Last edited:
The iron heads were all we had. And they worked good! They are just as good now as they were then. This aluminum fetish is fine also. Take your choice.

But the iron heads are not scrap. Just need a local buyer. Run and ad and wait, they will sell. I sold some small valve SB 915’s and there were multiple interested folks.

I won’t be buying any aluminum heads for anything.
The alum is appealing just like that ugly *** red distributor cap that comes on that must have BILLET distributor made in China that so many have.

About 15 years ago my dad was on a search for some non smog 360 heads and had a heck of a time finding any. At the time Edelbrocks were $14-1500 or so. He just wanted to put together a mild 360 for my sisters race car. He eventually did find a set and about a year later I found a set of J heads for $100. We have alum heads on all of our race cars now, but for a street car iron heads are fine. Not sure how the speedmaster price for sb heads are but I know for $1000 440 source heads are head to beat for a BB. Buy the time you'd buy a set of steel heads and get the needed work to bring them to usable condition your better off to just buy the 440 source heads.

About 15 years ago my dad was on a search for some non smog 360 heads and had a heck of a time finding any. At the time Edelbrocks were $14-1500 or so. He just wanted to put together a mild 360 for my sisters race car. He eventually did find a set and about a year later I found a set of J heads for $100. We have alum heads on all of our race cars now, but for a street car iron heads are fine. Not sure how the speedmaster price for sb heads are but I know for $1000 440 source heads are head to beat for a BB. Buy the time you'd buy a set of steel heads and get the needed work to bring them to usable condition your better off to just buy the 440 source heads.
Black Friday speedmasters are $700 for assembled set to the door..

The alum is appealing just like that ugly *** red distributor cap that comes on that must have BILLET distributor made in China that so many have.
Yeah the GM HEI cap right up front on your mopar BB engine.

No thankS!

Yeah the GM HEI cap right up front on your mopar BB engine.

No thankS!
That GM HEI system was one of the best in its time. Although things would go wrong , the module or the coil. I remember putting a coil or a module in them on the side of the road a couple of times. This was back when parts houses had parts in stock...another thing was the clip on the hot wire would break,and every once in a while the engine would shut down, then ya pop the hood and reattach the wire and off ya go...

That GM HEI system was one of the best in its time. Although things would go wrong , the module or the coil. I remember putting a coil or a module in them on the side of the road a couple of times. This was back when parts houses had parts in stock...another thing was the clip on the hot wire would break,and every once in a while the engine would shut down, then ya pop the hood and reattach the wire and off ya go...
Yes I worked at auto repair shops I’m very familiar with them.
In my view they have NO PLACE on a mopar engine. I don’t want to see that crap on there. I don’t care how good it is. It looks GM all the way.

Yes I worked at auto repair shops I’m very familiar with them.
In my view they have NO PLACE on a mopar engine. I don’t want to see that crap on there. I don’t care how good it is. It looks GM all the way.
I agree. I run the MP performance type distributor kit, on a street application but I have ran them for years. Racing? Id look into MSD I think.

-
Back