Old engine start up ?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I traded for a 62 Belvedere 2 dr post and it has a 318 poly in it. Just for the hell of it i'm going to see if it will fire. Filled the radiator, no leaks. Pulled the plug wires. Pulled the plugs. Sprayed WD in the cylinders for overnite. Tomorrow i'll get new plugs, wires, points, dist cap and i'll put on a coil i have lying around the shop. I sprayed the carb and linkage down also. I'll run it off of a gas jug just to see if it will run then if all is ok i'll pull the tank and check the condition of it and clean as necessary. Oil is good as is the tranny fluid. Any thing i'm over looking or advice on start ups. This motor is only temporary but i'll have some fun with it before i start the complete clone work. Thanks in advance.

If your doing this in your garage, I'd suggest a tarp under it just in case it barfs. A fire extinguisher, and a fan. And how about some blocks in front of and behind the tires.

You might want to pull the distibutor and run the oil pump before you turn it over. Most of the oil passages have probably dried out by now.

I would spin it over a bit while the plugs are out.

I've got a 3/4" drive ratchet on the crank bolt and it aint turning over YET. I've got the cylinders full of atf for a day or two and then we'll see if we can spin it. Took the valve cover off and tapped on the valves so as to break em loose in case they were stuck. Everything works. No harm done if it don't spin as i will be putting a real motor in it. Any more ideas?

You might want to pull the distibutor and run the oil pump before you turn it over. Most of the oil passages have probably dried out by now.

if you get it to turn over DEFINATELY prime the oil system!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back