Old gas questions

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My car pretty much sat for about 25 years. It might have moved around a bit on occasion, but not much. I know old gas turns into junk over time, so I got a new gas tank from AMD. A new fuel pump is an easy thing, but is it necessary to replace the hard line from the tank to the fuel pump, or is there a good way to maybe clean it out or pump something through it so I don't have to replace it? Replacing that line or bending a new one looks to be a PITA that I'd like to avoid if there's a viable alternative.

I just cleaned up a carb using gunwash i got from the body shop. It cut the goo instantly.

Oh boy .... probably has rust in the line , flush it out with sea foam before you hook up the new pump and tank , put a fuel filter before the pump and one in the stock location check often , if it keeps picking up rust replace the line is the only option (metal filters only there fire resistant,un like plastic)

I use the cheap plastic carefully as a pre filter so I can see the trash. Once fuel is clear, I use the metal ones.

Get the O'Reilly brand brake cleaner and squirt it into the lines followed by compressed air. The house brand brake cleaner from O'Reilly is very aggressive and will clean most anything. Watch it around paint if you want it to stay on.

I wouldn't trust that old fuel line . If you haven't checked it completely for rust inside and out I would definitely do so. Most just snap in two somewhere from rust.

Rust lots of times will go right through a paper filter.

I used to use a canister filter and drop a magnet in it if I thought rust may be an issue.

Acetone, alcohol, lacquer thinner in the line then blow it through into a clean rag on the other end. When it comes out clear...

You can buy a roll of aluminium fuel line and replace it. Easy to bend.

160.jpg

Restoring an old Mopar and the pre bent lines for fuel and brakes are available for your model !!??? and pretty cheap!!!.. but them!!!!!! Maybe a new MC while at it!!

Grab a gallon of white vinegar and a aquarium pump, circulate the vinegar thru the lines, it will clean it out.
I cleaned a galvanized water pipe out in one of my rental houses this way, it may take a week or so of circulating, but it will come clean.

Personally I would hook up an electric pump and make sure new gas will flow through it. But if you really worried check theses guys out: Product List

My car pretty much sat for about 25 years. It might have moved around a bit on occasion, but not much. I know old gas turns into junk over time, so I got a new gas tank from AMD. A new fuel pump is an easy thing, but is it necessary to replace the hard line from the tank to the fuel pump, or is there a good way to maybe clean it out or pump something through it so I don't have to replace it? Replacing that line or bending a new one looks to be a PITA that I'd like to avoid if there's a viable alternative.

Don’t forget...While you are in there cleaning/replacing hard lines, I would strongly recommend replacing all old rubber R7 fuel hoses to GATES BARRICADE R9 fuel injection rubber hoses. The old R7 fuel hose can look fine on the outside but with the aggressive ethanol gas that we all have to use now, the inside of R7 is definitely degraded and bits of rubber can find it’s way into the carb/ fuel pump and cause PITA problems. Also I use ABA stainless steel rolled edge hose clamps( they don’t cut into the hose as you tighten it) for all my hose connections and they work great. My motto is do it right the first time and you won’t have to go back in again. Also as a added measure I use ethanol free gas and put StaBil Marine 360 in the gas tank as it removes any water molecules/corrosion in the tank and anywhere the fuel passes through. Hope this helps and good luck with your project.
318MG

Thanks to all for the good ideas. Having gotten back under the car to assess the PITA level of just running a new line, I decided to go that way. Probably ordering from In-Line Tube or someone similar.

Question, fuel lines are either 5/16" or 3/8" is one preferable over the other?

You are just asking for trouble if you use the old lines, replace the lines.
I hate fuel leaks and being stuck on the side of the road.

Autozone and others I'm sure has rolls of fuel line in 25 ft length. I tried 3/8 first but didn't have any luck bending it with my tubing benders. Took it back and got the 5/16 and it worked a lot better. The roll of line was under $30
I had to make it in 2 pieces.

As the fuel evaporates in the line, whatever is left keeps gravitating to the lowest spot in the line, as it gets thicker and thicker. It eventually becomes a syrup, and finally solidifies. I have tried every chemical I could think of to soften that junk but once it's like that,it's like cured JB weld.
That line has been breathing for 25 years, less however long it took to evaporate. Breathing with every temperature swing, season, and barometric change, pulling in water vapor with it.And that water condenses and collects in the lowest spots, usually under the passenger seat. So that will now be on top of the varnished gas. The water will be gone, but the rust won't be. And as the new gas comes thru, it will wash the dust out, leaving the pits.... which could easily become holes.
If nothing else, I would cut those 3 or so feet out, and install at least that much new line, with fresh,flared ends.
The problem with that idea is that if some day your flares leak, the pump will suck air, and give you fits trying to figure it out.

I made a two piece line (Flared). I could always smell a wiff of gas until I added an o-ring as well. I definitely recommend a 1 piece line. My aluminium line was easy to bend and 7 years with no issues. I think it cost me $25.

Most passenger cars use 5/16 lines.... high performance might be 3/8”. Unless you are racing 5/16 is fine.

-
Back