Old gas

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of 110 octane race fuel from 2021. I'm about to start putting the engine back together and was wondering how long this stuff lasts. I hate to throw $75.00 of gas away if i don't have to.

In the sealed can it should be fine. I burn 2 year old fuels frequently and never really noticed a difference. Just my opinion though, I don't know the science behind fuel life.

My dart sat in the garage in so cal near the ocean for 4 years with a 1/2 tank of standard fuel (with ethanol)

I filled the tank the rest of the way and drove it till it was almost empty.

Filled it again and did the same thing.

Then I rebuilt the carb and changed the fuel filter.

No issues.

And the tank was clean as a whistle , the intank filter was clear, brown but unobstructed.

The worst part of the tank is about 5 dime sized rust spots on the inside. Well that and the slightly crushed spot!

Often race fuels are blended to last longer before use than pump gas. I'd use it.

If it's real 110, then it's leaded. Run it.

I’d run it. I buy my race fuel by the drum and I don’t always use a drum up by the end of the year. I haven’t had any issues with it, now pump gas is a different story.

Like others have said being sealed and out of light and moisture go a long way. How much are you going to burn up on fire up at home on the new engine? If you don’t burn it all up at home I like the idea of mixing five gallons of fresh gas to it for race day.

I have a drum of 110 race gas that takes me 2 years to us up. It's in a cool dry place.
I am using that bottom of the drum this year. works just fine.

-
Back