"Old Guns?" Or the "Unforgiven"?

-
Sweet . . . . you have 2 photos, I only have the one. Rog

Both of those Swingers are very period correct, looking good and standing tall!

It was very popular to have the mags on the front and steelies on the back, looking like the gassers at the strip, but for me, mostly because I couldn't afford all four of them at the time.

Did any of you guys ever paint your rear wheels half white and half black, to mimick the drag racing trend at the time? I did, it was an aid to tell if your tires were hooking or not.

In the 80s, we would just put a shoe polish strip on the slicks.

Geez I know we have our "Young Guns" . . . . and we will help them in any way to develop the hobby with them and make sure the hobby flourishes continues.

But this thread is here to talk about the "Old Guns". The ones who experienced the muscle car era first hand that have now come full circle to once again enjoy the feeling of a muscle car and to see the world once again through 20 year old eyes. We terrorized the streets and the strips in the 60's and 70's and may deserve the title "The Unforgiven". We may be old, but we aren't dead. Working on these cars, attending cars shows, being at this site, all give me the thrills of my own "Young Gun" era.

So I salute you, the Old Guns, on my first full day of retirement, may you live long, young and happy. Long live the hobby.

Please feel free to add your memories, dreams, and if you need any help from the rest of us "Unforgiven".

Rog (62 years young)

Here Here!!
Love it.
I am now 53 and remember these monsters all around.
Ah Yes, The good ole days.... LOL
And I hope to add many more MOPAR memories too.

Later,
Bruce B.

Oh! Were supposed to add a memory to this post. Uh duh.
Well, One of my fondest mopar memories happened when I was 15 (1972)
I had just finished a season of Grouper fishing in Tarpon Springs, FL.
I hade cleared $11,000.00 for the season.
I was walking down Main St. and looked over at the Plymouth dealers lot.
On the Pedastal on the corner: Tor-Red 1970 Superbird.
Next to it a Gold 1971 GTX.
Walked over to them... Salesman actually came out to talk to me.
After a few minites he realized I really had cash and wanted a car.
He tells me the story on the 2 cars:
Superbird: Still new from 1970 had around 3500 test drive miles on it.
GTX: trade in, has 11,000 miles on it.
Now both these cars were in new condition, both were 440-4bbl/727/8-3/4 with 3:23 gears.
So I say Test Drive? He said ok.... Off I go in the Superbird first.... Pretty impresive but just lacking something.
Then the '71 GTX...... NOW were talking! It just out performed the 'bird hands down!
Back to the lot...... How much?
$1400.00 for either one!!!!
I bought the Gold '71 GTX... and fell in love within' the hour.
I kept that car for about a year and a half.... sold it for $1400.00... For the life of me I cannot remember why I sold it though.......
-END-

in 1969 i was minus 15. nothing happened. see picture below. LOL
(for the old guys thats laugh out loud)

Attachments

• 424px-Blank_button.svg.jpg
    811 bytes · Views: 84
-
Back