Old Man's 66 Cuda Funnycar build

-
Managed to work on the cooling system a little today . To start with the radiator is 19x31 with 2 one inch tubes , there is a aluminum fan shroud with louvers punched in it to let hot air out when the fans are not running . there are two 12 inch Spal fans to help pull air thru the system . I will have them set up to be controlled manually with two switches and a set of relays . I built two air dams on both sides of the radiator to make the air flow go thru the radiator . I bent up two brackets to hold the radiator in place at the top will do the same for the bottom . I will use window foam stripping to go between the brackets and the sheet metal around the opening to keep the radiator from rubbing a hole in it self .Next will be trying to figure out the radiator hose routing . I know that there will have to be a filler neck up next to the engine , the engine sits higher that the top of the radiator .... will always have air in the system if you do not do this ..
View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment IMG_2103.jpg
Wilwood adj. pro. valve last of the big ticket items for brake system .
View attachment IMG_2104.jpg
Bracket that came with it had to be modified , cut it off and put a bend and a twist to it
View attachment IMG_2106.jpg

View attachment IMG_2107.jpg
Cleaned off paint so it could be welded to the roll cage for support
View attachment IMG_2110.jpg
Will weld it to cage here
View attachment IMG_2112.jpg
The top 3 tubes of the radiator are blocked off and will not get air flow so I am going to cut the radiator support off where you see the black magic marker lines . Also made 2 braces to help support the grill assembly and the top support for the radiator . This will help get air flow thru all of the radiator .

Had to do a honey do before I could get back to work on the cuda . My wife wanted a hand rail at the back door , so I bent one up out of rollcage tubing .. took a day to do but she was happy !!

!View attachment IMG_2116.jpg
Drilled 2 3/16 inch holes thru bracket and back brace and attached with 2 bolts
View attachment IMG_2115.jpg
Back brace for pass. side rad. bracket
View attachment IMG_2117.jpg
Driver side rad. bracket
View attachment IMG_2114.jpg
Cut out about 2 inches of radiator brace and covered with black door trim . Did this so the top 3 tubes will be exposed to incoming air flow
View attachment IMG_2119.jpg
Put jack under cross member to see what car would look like raised up 1 inch. Note I am going to use 66 Valiant grills and center section .There is a guy that has a NOS set but way to rich for my wallet . $1800.00
View attachment IMG_2120.jpg
View from drivers seat at eye level ..
View attachment IMG_2124.jpg
View of dash and guages from eye level ..... Saturday I Hope to move car over, jack it up and remove rear tires to install tubes and sheet metal in the trunk area ,,

I would go to Piedmont drag strip and watch Ronnie run his AFX cuda ,watching the Man go thru the gears it was a rush . Later in life I had a 67 fastback cuda that I had the tire hanging out of the wheelwells , OK for 2 people in the car but put someone in the backseat and in a hundred miles I had 1/2 wide and 1/4 deep cut on the tire , go into a drive way and the car twists on it's suspension and you get a cut tire , I admit it looks great but in the real world a cut tire at $500.00 each plus maybe a mess up quarter panel not so great .... Again thanks for the thought ....

You, sir, just won the internet.

Removed the back glass by my self , it's heavy . For now just looking how to do tin work after tubs go and get every thing to fit in place . installed factory side pieces , will try to tie these together and make a solid panel across the back of the car .

View attachment IMG_2125.jpg
Placed a wood strip across from side to side to give me a visual of where the tin work will go if attached to the stock trim pieces

View attachment IMG_2128.jpg
Will set tubs at 4 inches over the tires for now and see what it looks like , I like to look at things and see what I can come up with on how to do the tin work

View attachment IMG_2129.jpg
I am looking at running the 3 inch exhaust over the rear end and over the shock support bracket , there is 8 inches of room in the pic . come over the shock mount turn straight down with the exhaust do a couple of 90's and go over the frame and tie into the mufflers .

View attachment IMG_2132.jpg
Flowmaster mufflers are 5x12x22 for big block RV . Build a 71 chevy truck for a friend ,he has a 560 inch bb in it , used these mufflers sounded great real deep and mellow with little back pressure ...

View attachment IMG_2126.jpg
Will have to look at how much room I have left for 20 gallon fuel cell starting to get tight back there ...

View attachment IMG_2127.jpg
First thing to do is set the first piece of sheet metal for the tub where you want it , make a mark with a sharpie down the lower edge where you are going to cut it . Also drilled 3 holes and used cleco's to put back in the same location when installing the tub back in.

View attachment 005.jpg
Next jacked up the car and removed the tires , cut the back piece and reinstalled it with cleco's . Measured from the back piece to the outside sheet metal and wrote measurements about every 3 inches on the back piece . Using the shipping box that the tubs came in I made a card board pattern and transferred the measurements from the back piece to the card board pattern . I took another piece of the shipping box and rolled it and taped it to the first pattern piece . this made a card board pattern of the wheel tub . Using the measurements on the pattern I made marks on the edge of the cardboard tub . I cut the outer piece about 1 inch shorter than the measurements . This gives you a little room for what comes next .

View attachment 004.jpg
Most tubs come in a flat box and need to be assembled , with the help of the corner of my shops wall I could hold the top of the tub and tap it down into the joint and roll the edges over forming the tub assembly into one piece ...

View attachment 008.jpg
I placed the cardboard tub in the car wheel well and clamped it in with cleco's and clamps , using a contouring tool and a sharpie you follow the sheetmetal with the end of the tool and mark the paper tub with the sharpie . Take the paper tub out place and into the assembled tub and reverse the tool and mark the sheet metal with the sharpie following the marks on the paper tub . if done correctly you will have only a small of trimming and it fits snuggly into place . Using pop rivets to hold the tub in place to finish the install under the car ..

View attachment 009.jpg
Used a level to make sure the tub is level form side to side . I placed a 1x1x16 inch piece of square metal along the lower edge of the tub . squared it up with framing square and welded it in place . This piece will be part of the battery box bracing and will help when the floor is attached to it .

View attachment 011.jpg
A side shot of the square tube in place and squared up with the rear frame rails , when finished up there will be a frame made to hold the battery on top and muffler hangers on the bottom .

View attachment 001.jpg
Tub #2 assembled and ready to be installed .
View attachment 013.jpg
You take the cardboard tub apart and reverse it and place it inside the assembled tub and mark and cut it , following the same procedure as before mark and cut pattern first and the mark and cut sheet metal and install ..

View attachment 014.jpg

The 4 things you will need for this job is , Fresh sharpie , cardboard for pattern , a contour took ( I got mine from Chris Alston Chassis Works ) and the last thing is a PAIR OF GLOVES , THIS STUFF WILL CUT YOU UP ...

On how do TUB installs go to Chris Alston Chassis Works web site , go to bottom of page and you will see Tech how to , open it and look down page to find TUB install how to ..
It has detailed pic's on how all this works , The process use to kick my butt until started to do it this way ...

View attachment IMG_2147.jpg
Used the cardboard pattern form from the first tub install, placed it in the next tub and traced around it . this is where it will be cut to match the first one .

View attachment IMG_2148.jpg
reversed the tub pattern and taped it together . this will be clamped in place and marked with the contour tool .

View attachment IMG_2149.jpg
2nd shot of the back of the pattern tub .

View attachment IMG_2152.jpg
trimmed the bottom and edges of the tub and installed it . used a 48 inch level to make sure both sides are the same .

View attachment IMG_2153.jpg
Level shows dead on level. drilled holes inside and pop riveted it in place .

View attachment IMG_2154.jpg
nice tight fit on inside of quarter panel .

View attachment IMG_2155.jpg
side shot of installed tub . next up will be filling in the gaps and making a frame for the rear floor area ...

View attachment IMG_2156.jpg
finished up square tubing on tub's lower edge . Sealed inside of tub with black paintable sealer. Will paint inside and spray on undercoating later .

View attachment IMG_2157.jpg
Built outside frame work , this will hold up tin work and muffler from the bottom . Also support for trunk mounted battery .

View attachment IMG_2158.jpg
Frame work is level from front to back and squared off the main frame

View attachment IMG_2159.jpg
Level from side to side

View attachment IMG_2160.jpg
Cut piece of 20 guage sheet metal and rolled beads in it for strength ... tin always has a small wave in it when you use a bead roller . when installed I use black sealer in between frame and tin work and then use pop rivets to hold in place

View attachment IMG_2161.jpg
This is looking from under the frame work , The exhaust tip will exit between the frame and outer sheet metal ....as you can see I have a lot of cleaning to do before I finish and seal up this area .....

Thanks 66340sedan , I work on it when I get a chance and feel up to it . My health has not been great lately . My wife thinks I am out of my mind , I have 3 1/2 projects going right now . My brother-in-laws 62 Chevy truck , the 66 cuda funny car , my 86 dodge truck I bought new this is the 1/2 project , want to flip rear end to lower it , have a set of wheels to match the 66 cars SS wheels and a 65 afx coronet I brought with me when I moved from NC 12 years ago ... Here are a few pic's of AFX car .
View attachment IMG_1682.jpg
65 post car wheels moved forward 15 inches , the car has a lowered stance looks better , will handle better , use to jack em up and the cars would handle terrible .

View attachment IMG_1693.jpg
Back wheels were made by Bart Wheel co , 15x18 wide tires are hoosier , when mounted they measure 23 1/2 wide thru side wall .

View attachment IMG_1671.jpg
Moved motor back 2 inches , Hurst push down shifter , 3 1/2 inch handle throw . works like a VW shifter put in neutral and push down for reverse gear . spring loaded 1 to 2 gear change pull back hard, push to 3 gear shifter will go that gear gate with out being pushed into it

View attachment IMG_1685.jpg
Used 5 spoke 4x15 wheels up front , had a set of custom wheel caps made for all 4 wheels .

View attachment IMG_1814.jpg
had to replace all the floor pans , used the original bench seat , had a big hole to fill around shifter .

View attachment IMG_1822.jpg
Did tin work on center section of floor with drive shaft tunnel . the first time I used slip roller ...

View attachment IMG_1839.jpg
Made big box for shifter , thinking about adding cup holders , for those long rides LOL
View attachment IMG_1847.jpg
Made the top around shifter plate removeable . for shifter access for adjustments.

This build is covered in fbbo under 1965 afx coronet

Fantastic builds, the AFX car is as nice as the Cuda build. keep the pics coming as I love to watch this.
I went over to FBBO to see the rest of the AFX build.

Thanks Keith , I love the AFX style cars , Years ago when these things were running on the strip , I wanted a street version of them . I hope I can get both of them finished someday . Again thanks . :burnout:

View attachment 1714873763
Wilwood adj. pro. valve last of the big ticket items for brake system .
View attachment 1714873764
Bracket that came with it had to be modified , cut it off and put a bend and a twist to it
View attachment 1714873765

View attachment 1714873766
Cleaned off paint so it could be welded to the roll cage for support
View attachment 1714873767
Will weld it to cage here
View attachment 1714873768

I'm sure you already know but that bracket kit with the lines is used to install the prop valve off the back of the master. You could of saved about $50 and bought just the prop valve.

Build looks great!

Riddler

Ebay buy on wilwood kit was $99 with bracket and with out $77 . I am cheap and shop like HELL to find the cheapest price .... I knew that I could not use the bracket , my master cylinder is real close to the roll cage but I looked at what you get with the kit and figured I could use part of the bracket plus I got the brake lines . Wilwood has a bracket that mounts on the other side but it might interfere with taking off the valve cover on that side ... THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT . I am just getting tired of having to fab stuff , 3 inch exhaust system is next and it's FAB time again ...

Np, I think your fab skills are amazing. The car is z true testament to what you can do. I can't wait to see what you have in store next.

Riddler

Been down with a bad bug for 5 weeks , have started to do a little around the shop and house .
IMG_2162.JPG

started the driver side floor frame .
IMG_2163.JPG

welded 1inch tube into frame and boxed end .
IMG_2165.JPG

the muffler will fit under the tubing with a 1/2 inch of space under frame work . Exhaust tip will fit in the notch at the end of the frame and come out under the bumper . see above pic for notch at bumperv
IMG_2164.JPG

This is an exhaust port . it is 4 1/2 out side with a 1/4 thickness . the inside opening is 4 inches . I will cut them in half and install them in the lower side of the frame . doing this will allow the 3 inch exhaust tubing to sit up close to the floor and not hang down .
IMG_2167.JPG

This pic shows how much room there will be with a 3 inch tube going thru it .
IMG_2168.JPG

Also I had the 3 butter flies for the injector hat powered coated . looks great ... hoping to get back to working on my projects full time again ......

You have your fabrication "down pat." As mentioned in an earlier post...Your work and pictures gives motivation to get a project at hand, done. I'm looking forward to the finished ride.

Hi , Guys been busy for the last 5 months working on my sister-in-laws house . She finally made her mind to sell it . She is 80 years old , been living with us for the last 10 years , a really great lady . So it began with painting the outside , after finishing up the HOA did not like the color combo so it was repainted to make them happy . Painted inside , all 1900 sq. ft. new fans , stove , dishwasher , microwave , light fixtures and carpet it was done . This took up all my time and $$$$ , she lives on S.S. . While putting up the new light fixtures in the hall I took a fall off the ladder . Right knee and shoulder were banged up pretty good . Good news I was almost through with the project and it sold last week . So I now have some $$$ to spend on the Cuda . I picked up a track locker for the Dana 60 from a old gentleman that had purchased it for his truck but never installed it . I have a 4:10 Richmond gear set and install kit coming in for it . SO after the first of the year I can get back to things on the 66 car. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas . View attachment 1715000534 View attachment 1715000534 View attachment 1715000536

View attachment 1715000538

Last edited:
Finally got in a few more parts for the car . The Richmond 4:10 gear set and the complete set up kit for the dana 60 arrived . Also went ahead and got the carb. for the car , a Quick fuel Q-1050-B1 with fuel lines . The line coming out of the side of the carb is for the power valve to get a signal for the vac . from the manifold . Have more parts on order . That is the good stuff , I will be down for a while with my shoulder , had a MRI done and have a tendon pulled off my shoulder joint . Go to get it fixed at the end of Jan. will be down for about a month . I am going to try and get dana set up before this happens ... I will just stock pile parts and get back to it LATER ...
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2372.JPG
IMG_2374.JPG
IMG_2374.JPG
IMG_2375.JPG

Last edited:
Nice, getting parts feels almost as good as working on your car!
So while your down order away! oh ya, post some pics, it's good for us too!

-
Back