Old SB intake manifolds

-

IBSorgn

Reaction score
Plydrvrs-bfw.jpg

Bought an old 340 Duster drag car running a weiand 8007 dual plane manifold. Because the car it exclusively a race car I thought that I would exchange the 8007 for a weiand x-celerator 7510. I'm assuming that a single plane is a step in the right direction. In addition, should I block off the heat crossover and if so what is the prescribe way to handle that.
I know this stuff is old iron(aluminum) - just getting back into racing after 40 years. Appreciate your input.

Like a lot of things, things improve over time. If you want a good single plane get an M1. Or if you want a good dual plane get an Eddy airgap intake (not the crosswind knock off).
It would also help if you list the spec you currently have for the car (cam, tranny, gears, etc...) and what time range you're looking to reach.:burnout:

The Wieand Action Plus is a good intake and can carry you into some really quick time slips. Power production from this intake should not be a problem at all.

To block the heat cross over from the head into the intake, use a piece of aluminum cut to size and at about a thickness that will not make sealing the intake a issue. Thinner than .050 is fine. Slightly bigger than the hole to cover and silicone it to be sure.

Without knowing all of the combination, it's impossible to determine if a single plane will be a step in the "right" direction. Just because it is a "race" car doesn't automatically mean a single plane is best.

That weiands a good intake.Did you get a racers logbook with the car?If not,contact the last owner,maybe he's done this.

No inventory on the engine specs as it was bought via a broker. Car weights just south of 3000 lbs, TKO 5 speed, 4.56 gears, 28.5x10.5x15 tires. Was told it was a 10 second car in its time producing over 425hp on a chassis dyno. Personally I take everything with a grain of salt until I can verify. The Duster has not seen asphalt since early to mid 2000s. Trying to shake things out and bring it up to compliance. Had it on the track several times but only to learn its behavor and how safe and straight it is. So far so good but have never push it.
Plyrear-bfw.jpg

-
Back