Old School 340 Build

-
:popcorn:

Gettin' a lil sporty in here again. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see some happy 340 vids and timeslips

Well it's good that the blocker heater is still in the 340...... the build might not start until April by the looks of things today.

IMG_0704.JPG

Well it's good that the blocker heater is still in the 340...... the build might not start until April by the looks of things today.

View attachment 1715002771

There's a reason everyone in Canada calls it Winter-peg.

We've been pretty lucky here. Not too bad for snow, I think there's only about a foot on the ground right now. Was a lot more over christmas, probably close to two feet. But for the last 2-3 weeks temps have only dropped below -15C or so for a few days. It was actually right around 0 the last few days. Wind has been **** as usual though. 100K+ most days for the last few weeks.

You'll have that car out and in running order soon. Should be a lot of fun at the track. I'm curious what it puts down for time slips.

I want to get it in the shop by the end of March and start putting in a fuel system and wiring it up and making some traction bars ect. I need to by a seat and wheels and tires for it as well.

He said he was building a 340 not a 350 Chev :) Couldn't believe all the guesses under 400 hp guess people have no faith in the little 340 any more.

Has nothing to do with loss of "faith"...but more like everything to do with a slow ramped legacy grind with low lift and ported heads of unknown provenance. I don't recall seeing your estimation on the first page :rolleyes:

I am however happy for the OP...that mill in a gutted Scamp ought to produce lot of smiles 1/4 mile at a time

Hey when I went in I was hoping for 400hp and would not have been surprised if it only made 375hp. I had another 340 that if you looked at the build on paper you would think that it would be around the same as this one and it made 345hp with a 490 lift hydraulic cam....the biggest things I learned in this build is if you want to make power use a solid lifter cam, gap less rings are the real deal and if you know a guy who is really good at building engines let them do it.
If I have one regret it's that I didn't get a new cam, Mike told me after the Dyno that it would have went 475hp if I would have let him spec a custom cam from his cam grinder.

Hey when I went in I was hoping for 400hp and would not have been surprised if it only made 375hp. I had another 340 that if you looked at the build on paper you would think that it would be around the same as this one and it made 345hp with a 490 lift hydraulic cam....the biggest things I learned in this build is if you want to make power use a solid lifter cam, gap less rings are the real deal and if you know a guy who is really good at building engines let them do it.
If I have one regret it's that I didn't get a new cam, Mike told me after the Dyno that it would have went 475hp if I would have let him spec a custom cam from his cam grinder.

Just goes to show yah what you can throw together with some parts laying around. Like Mike mentioned, those gapless rings are worth 20 horse. And I believe it all day looking at your results. Just goes to show the power lies in the details. Guy's will spend A LOT of money looking for 20 horse, when it could be right under their noses, or pistons tops in this case!

A custom cam is always worth it in my book. Cost is minimal compared to the power you gain. I'm going custom solid roller this winter and along with full head porting and a compression raise, I'm hoping to squeeze 500 out of my 340, but would be very happy with 475. If I get 400 at the tire, it'll move my 3000lb scamp no problemo.

If I was you, I'd dump another 2G into that engine. I think with a custom cam, custom converter and that gutted out scamp you'll surprise just about everyone at the track.

Has nothing to do with loss of "faith"...but more like everything to do with a slow ramped legacy grind with low lift and ported heads of unknown provenance. I don't recall seeing your estimation on the first page :rolleyes:

I am however happy for the OP...that mill in a gutted Scamp ought to produce lot of smiles 1/4 mile at a time

Didn't have an opportunity to have a guess didn't see the thread until it was 4 pages long.

Just goes to show yah what you can throw together with some parts laying around. Like Mike mentioned, those gapless rings are worth 20 horse. And I believe it all day looking at your results. Just goes to show the power lies in the details. Guy's will spend A LOT of money looking for 20 horse, when it could be right under their noses, or pistons tops in this case!

A custom cam is always worth it in my book. Cost is minimal compared to the power you gain. I'm going custom solid roller this winter and along with full head porting and a compression raise, I'm hoping to squeeze 500 out of my 340, but would be very happy with 475. If I get 400 at the tire, it'll move my 3000lb scamp no problemo.

If I was you, I'd dump another 2G into that engine. I think with a custom cam, custom converter and that gutted out scamp you'll surprise just about everyone at the track.

We are going to put a small NOS kit on it at some point if the car is working good. About the biggest thing I don't have is a correct converter for the engine, the ATI I do have is 3000 stall that was built in January of 1995 according to the bill.
As far as dumping more into the engine this is supposed to be a budget deal to use up parts and a car that would be otherwise doing nothing with. I should be putting the 360 Magnum into my 69 Valiant but now I'm off on a tangent thinking about getting the Scamp ready.....

AMEN. Gapless top rings and solid lifters...brings a tear to my eye!!!!!!!!

-
Back