Old school Mopar guy, newbie to the site

-

breynolds

Reaction score
I live in Charleston, South Carolina. My first car was a 68 Plymouth fury, then a 72 Dodge charger, then a 71 Dodge challenger. After starting college, I bought my first new car, a 1985 shortbed dodge truck. My Challenger froze the block that winter, leaving me looking for another motor. My search was brief, because my dad had a fresh 400 with a two barrel. It fit right in that Challenger and it was a hell of an improvement. So off to the track I went. One thing led to another, and within two years, I was part owner of cooper river dragstrip, and my challenger was deep into the nine second zone in the quarter mile. I bought a 413 max-wedge super stock motor from Fred Swing, of the Dixie Twister fame. The car instantly went from high sixes on nitrous, to mid sixes on motor alone. With the nitrous on the max wedge, it was a brute. Well, in true racer's form, I wasn't happy going mid nines, and the 3400 b challenger, with it's back-half chassis and ladde bars wasn't going to make it. I bought a tig welder, an Alston pro one chrome molly chassis kit, and taught myself how to buid a car from scratch. The Daytona was 1000 pounds lighter than the Challenger, so needless to say I was running some serious numbers. that Max wedge got me into the low 8 second zone. But still not fast enough. Enter the 632 b-1 Motor. It was a beast. In the sevens at speeds closing in on 200 mph. I won the bracket world finals with it, many quick 8 races, and even bracket raced it, sucessully I might add. At the same time I continued to collect the cool mopars that I really loved. I 64 Polara pushbutton car with cold AC. A '60 Savoy. A 68 Plymouth wagon. Another60 savoy, this one a wagon. A 75 Duster. A 78 Super coupe. Even my daily driver was an 85 shortbed truck. Then a diesel Dually to tow the car with. At the moment I'm building a 70 Dart with twin turbos and nitrous. I love my mopars Ive taken **** over the years for having the, but the wise cracks went away as I started winning races and setig track records. I'm getting older, I have two wonderful kids that are into the mopar scene, but all of a sudden I didn't have the desire to push th limit anyore. I still hit the track a couple of times a year, but only for quick 8 races. So I'm still in the game, trying to make a slant six thinks it's a 383 and my son is a second generation mopar guy. I inherited my love for mopars from my dad, and am proud to say myy son is following in my footsteps. My greatest achievement was winning the IHRA bracket world finals in the early 90s.... and I still love my old Daytona, which is now an antique, but still competitive. My Challenger still has it's old max-wedge, a 53 year old monster. So here's some pics:

Attachments

• bristol.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 313
  • drivers.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 226
  • max wedge.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 209
  • polara.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 225
  • toting them.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 224
  • wheels up.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 197
  • winners circle.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 245
Welcome ,that's the same thing that happened to my dad, went to the track in 88 going 12s with a 440 and tunnel ram in a 1970 cuda, now were down to the mid-high 8s with a 542in Indy motor , real fun

You got yourself a post car! Bad-***! Wish I could enlarge the picture. Nothing beats a big mopar totin the wheels like that....I've always loved a small block four speed dart. There's one at my track, old drunk guy drives it, it's a convertible. It's got a set of seven inch slicks, he drives it to the track, and when he leaves, he just floors it at the first amber and side-steps the clutch. I always cringe waiting for it to explode but it just leaps off the line with the wheels two feet up, then it runs like 7.70s in the eighth mile. But I just love watching that old guy leave. I swear it moves the starting line backwards when it leaves. My dart has a slant six, but it's got plenty of work on it, including the home-built intake manifold so I can run two turbos from the mid-80s Dodge Daytona. I hear they're the best for the 225 because they're small and spool up quick, which is needed with your redline is 5500 RPM. That, plus a shot of nitrous and I hope to be giving that old fart a run for his money. I'm about three weeks out from firing it up. I'm parking the rest of my stuff until I get it dialed in.....Love your rides, bro!

8 second cuda! Can't beat that! I often wondered how far I would have taken my challenger if I hadn't started the Daytona project back in '88. Tell me about your Dart project car! I love darts and I'm lucky to have the one I have. I love the fact that your whole family is a mopar family. Mine too. My mom has a PT Cruiser (facepalm) and my sister drives a hemi magnum. My son has a Charger R/T (09) and my brother drives several mopars. He also has a 60 Savoy, a rat car that's black primer, purple flames, narrowed rear-end with 14 inch tires, a slant six and three on the tree. No interior at all. 6 inch tailpipes with flame throwers. We went out to the turkey rod run in Daytona a few years back, and with his Savoy Rat car parked next to my pristine 64 Polara, he managed to get a two page photo spread in Car craft, Mopar Performance, and a one-page photo in hot rod magazine....He's also got a 68 Roadrunner like yours, only his is a 383 automatic convertible. Love your rides dude.

beautiful collection can we see some recent picture of the cars. I particularly like the challenger, my dad drove a 440+6 challenger in high school and that was the first car I ever rode in, sadly he sold it in '95. He now has a 1400 hp 540 blown 68 power wagon. I personally also have a 67 dart its on this site just look for "Project Phoenix". id love to see more pictures

Welcome. Thanks for the pics. My Brother had a wagon like yours. I always liked that car. I've got a 67 Barracuda.

-
Back