Old school tach question

-

gearjammer340

Reaction score
Anybody know what all I need to make this tach work? All I have is the tach, apears to be cable operated. I was thinking it'd be cool in my duster.If I can't make it work I have a cpl spare monster tachs I could use but I'd rather use this because I think it's kind of neat. Thanks for any help or suggestions,here's a pic.
031709_16001.jpg

It's an SW tach
Thanks,
Jr.

Anybody know what all I need to make this tach work? All I have is the tach, apears to be cable operated. I was thinking it'd be cool in my duster.If I can't make it work I have a cpl spare monster tachs I could use but I'd rather use this because I think it's kind of neat. Thanks for any help or suggestions,here's a pic.
031709_16001.jpg

It's an SW tach
Thanks,
Jr.

It's a mechanical tach. It needs a cable (just like a speedo cable) to run it from a distributor that has a mechanical tach drive setup. So you'd need a small block machanical tach drive distributor AND and a cable setup. So you'd have to drill a hole or find a hole the size of the screw on cap like the one that's on your trans.

Modern electronics have about eliminated the need for mechanical tachs.

IMHO, unless you're building a vintage retro car, sell it and don't be bothered.

Well one thing for sure! You will need a distributor with a tach drive! (Along with a cable) Not sure if a reducer gear is required or not. Only electrical part needed would be to hook up a light

Kind of what I thought but we'll see if I can chase down the parts to make it work if not I'll hang it on the wall with the rest of the old school stuff I seem to accumilate lol.
Thanks,
Jr.

-
Back