Old Trains

-

Xcptshnl1

Reaction score
My parents and I grew up in rural West Virginia. To see a train moving coal and lumber up and down the Elk River or Buffalo Creek was an every day thing. Here are a few pictures that I have of places that I call home...
Lumber cut in the sawmill where my mother's father and several of my uncles worked during WWII traveled everyday on this train.
smallltrain1.JPG

This is an overhead shot of the sawmill town, Swandale, where my mother was born and raised.
smallswandale1.JPG

This is my mothers uncle who was the conductor of #4 which now serves in Cass Scenic Rail Road in Pocahantas County, WV.
smalltrain2.JPG

This is a news photo of a lumber train accident where my Uncle, Brooks Litton was killed while loading a log train in 1955.
smalltrain4.JPG

This is the lumber train from Swandale crossing the Elk River in the early '60s.
smaltrain5.JPG

This is the train station in Widen, WV where my father was born in 1945. It was the coal town, still one of the largest underground mines in West Virginia.The mines at Widen were the last to be unionized in West Virginia in the 1950's. The mines are now owned by AT Massey Coal. There was a coal war there just like in Matewan in Mingo County West Virginia. The union supporters wore red bandannas around their necks. This is where the term REDNECKS came from. Just a lil trivia...
smalltrain6.JPG

This was the train that ran twice a day to bring mail and dairy supplies to Widen and Swandale from 1910 until 1960 when a passable road was finally constructed to connect both towns to the county seat, Clay, WV. In 1960 my mother began her Sophomore year at Clay County High School and she had to ride 25 miles to get to the bus which took her the last five miles to the school every day. My Dad started riding it the very next year.
smalltrain3.JPG

~Mary

smallltrain1.JPG

smallswandale1.JPG

smalltrain2.JPG

smalltrain4.JPG

smaltrain5.JPG

smalltrain6.JPG

smalltrain3.JPG

I took this pair of pictures my self in 06 I think :-k

The old train was on its way to a day view in Jonesboro and I herd where the train was waiting and took some pictures where it was waiting out of town just 4 miles.
It must have been out of schedule.:-D
Trains are something I remember drawing allot as a child.:happy1:

train1.jpg

train5.jpg

Cool pics, Mary. My great-grandfather was a Woods Superintendent in the Davis,WV area in the early 1900's. He was killed when one of those log trains wrecked.

:read2:

Glad you all have enjoyed this post. I have updated a few items and added a little trivia feel free to re-read.

~Mary:happy10:

I have fond memories of trains as a youngter. My sister and i rode from Los Angeles with my Grandmother to Paragould, Ark. when i was about 7 or 8. The little i can remember is always refreshened for me by Arlo Guthrie in the song "City of New Orleans" I sold a car last year up in Indiana and it was manditory that i rode along upon delivery to do but one thing. See the town of Kankekee that Arlo sings of in that song. Mission accomplished. I can still take a six pak and set in the truck down by the tracks and watch the cars roll by and take in all the art work painted on the sides of the cars. There is some super artist out in this world just wanting an avenue to allow them to express themselves. Something i thought of that would be very interesting and different to say the least. I know the railyards have security combing the yards to stop offenders from doing this type of "Vandalism". All offenders should be sentenced to the participation in a national annual art event held in an " Art Park " and allow them to express their ideas and abilities leagally. Perhaps this would be a better method to spend tax payers money rather than to lock the perpetrators up. Who knows. There may be a Rembrant or a Picaso in the bunch. Good post Mary.

Nice pic's, thanks for sharing. I grew up in a coal town in northest PA and we had a big rail yard. We used to hop the coal freights to get around, I'd kill my kids if I ever caught them doing that, but we went all over northest PA that way. It's amazing when you look at the landscape in that area today where there is either nothing or houses and remember what it looked like in the 60's let alone the 30's and 40's..tracks going every direction, coal mining equipment, stripping holes, mine entrances, old brick roundhouses, generator houses....

Dave

Last summer we were in Durango, Colorado and rode the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton. What an amazing place! Here are a few shots at Silverton and from our great train trip.

P1000290 (Large).jpg

P1000294 (Large).jpg

P1000297 (Large).jpg

P1000307 (Large).jpg

P1000395 (Large).jpg

P1000442 (Large).jpg

P1000479 (Large).jpg

Great pics!!

When I was a kid (this is over? no one let me know...) my family drove to Durango to ride the Silverton train. I have a bunch of slides of that somewhere. I recently moved, so I'm not sure which box they are in just yet. Plus, some ugly "family business" when Dad died, and I'm just hoping I actually have them.

When I was 12, Dad bought a share of a "shortline" in Southeast Pennsylvania. I have prints of most of that, and the next railroad he worked for. I worked for both companies for a short while as well. If anyone is interested, let me know, I can lay hands on the prints pretty easy.

At the first railroad, we had Alco S-2's, and I still have a piston from when we replaced one. It sits in the living room, as a plant stand. The second railroad has grown since Dad left it twenty years ago. The company now owns several (10?) operations in Pennsylvania. At one point, one of the locomotives had to be moved to Altoona for a major repair. A pinion gear from the traction motor had lost a tooth, so the locomotive had to be lifted off the truck/bogie. Dad got the opportunity of a lifetime, and was able to run "his" locomotive around the Horseshoe Curve.

Thanks for the pics Mary! It's amazing to me how railroading gets in your blood. My father was an Engineer for Union Pacific and I've loved trains from my earliest memories. Unfortunately, he died back in '56 at the too-young of 44 when I was only 7.
We always traveled by train when I was a kid. Lots of trips from LA to either Las Vegas or Salt Lake City as we had relatives in both cities. I remember my mom and I taking two cross-country train trips the summers before I started both 5th and 6th grade. First was up the up the west coast from LA to Vancouver, across Canada to New York, then down to DC and back across the US to LA. The following year we went the opposite way on the same route. Great way to travel!
About 10 years ago my wife and I took the train up to Seattle from LA for a long weekend - her 1st long train trip. We had so much fun - it was like a 'land cruise'.
Thanks again for the memories!!!

Trains are so cool. My Grandpa has a HO scale lay out in a building behind his house. I love to go out there and play. I am 25 and I don't think that it will ever get old.

sweet pics. I am a rail fan my self. I have a basement layout around the walls. Here is a pic of the milwaukee road 156 sd-40-2 and a pic of the one i painted for my layout

DD197610S115.jpg

P1000364a.jpg

sweet pics. I am a rail fan my self. I have a basement layout around the walls. Here is a pic of the milwaukee road 156 sd-40-2 and a pic of the one i painted for my layout

Looks like you have built yourself up a fine collection there, 1hry440duster!

:toothy8: :thumblef:

Last year I went to the Golden Spike Museum on the old transcontinental railway north of Salt Lake City, Utah. They have 2 replicas of the trains that were there when the two tracks met joining Omaha, Nebraska with Sacramento, California. They even put on a little skit with actors portraying exactly what took place on that day. I video taped it, but I'll see if I have some photos also and post them later. If any of you ever make it out that direction, I definately recomend going to see it.

WOW! Memike, What you saw there is the UP's Challenger. The largest live steam engine still in service on there excersion train. I model the UP line myself in HO scale. I have wanted to go to Omaha where it is based at for years. My great grandfather was a fireman on the KATY line in Texas and growing up in Texas the UP ran through my town. If I had the time I would scan photos of the steam I have. In fact where I work at Dollywood we have 3 narrow gage steamers that interuopt my show about once a day.

http://www.uphs.org/4023move1.html
http://www.upsteam.com/

http://sbrhs.org/
http://www.railroadartifactpreservation.org/
Unfortunately, 3985 isn't based here in Omaha! We do have Big Boy 4023 on display here, with one of the DDA40X Centennial diesels. It sits above the Missouri River along I-80 when you come in from Iowa. Has the lights on a night, looks real cool. 3985 and 844 call Cheyenne, Wyoming , home. Check the UP Steam link, it tells where remaining UP steam locomotives are.
I got up at 2:30 AM to chase the 3985 when it left town, I heard the whistle from my front porch, and it's 15 miles to the tracks! I should have known I started too late, I never did catch it! Better luck next time!
I also posted some links to some of sante Fe's locomotives including the Madam Queen, #5000, which I saw on my way back from vacation in Arizona. It helps that one of my buddies is a retired Sante Fe engineer who lives in Amarillo, he knew some of the guys restoring it, we got a real close up look at the work!
Steam Locomotives rule, don't miss a chance to see one live!
alan627b

It is great to see all the pics and stories that have been posted here.

:read2:

Funny how common threads/experiences hold us together and make us feel more connected. It' a small world after all.

:wav:

Great pictures folks!!

Thanks!
8)

Here is a great link with Cass Scenic Railroad in Pocahantas County, West Virginia. They have the old Shay type locomotives. One of them My great uncle used to conduct when it ran on the Buffalo, Elk and Gauley Railroad.

I have been there many times. It is a wonderful ride that takes you from the Greenbrier River Valley to the top of Bald Knob.

The video begins with Hawks Nest and the New River area...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCI_kzeaqhA

-
Back