Old TRW Catalogue, Any body have one?

-

dowboy1970

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to raise some funds for my 392 build and have a set of old TRW pistons that I would like to sell but I need some help making sure what they are.

I am pretty sure they are BBC pistons and was told they are 12:1 427 pistons but they seem to be for an open chamber head.

I know they are non Mopar but I am going to use them to raise funds for my 70 Dart motor so please have mercy on me.

Pics to come and thanks in advance.

F5ACB1DD-3250-4670-981A-8333AC45CAB6.jpeg

91B1AA60-9561-4C22-9C86-D7DF5469E22A.jpeg

You mixed the last two numbers up RustyRatRod.
If your book gives any specs please send me a photo if you come across the information and thank you for your help.
Uh oh. My bad.

Yeah, there's nothing on that number that I can find. Are they all stamped the same?

I've got one, an '88 trw catalog...

But it's 200 miles away.

I can say this. Those look like 12.5 to one open chamber rat motor pistons, maybe a L88/ZL1 replacement

I'm probably headed back to california middle of next week. I can get you the info then, if nobody can help sooner.

Yeah, there's nothing on that number that I can find. Are they all stamped the same?
Yes Sir.
I searched pretty good on the web and could not find anything either.

They are floated pins as well.

We should have kept those old catalogs! :BangHead: :BangHead:
I generally buy them on eBay if they are reasonable. A hurst and hooker catalog are next on my list. Not only great for reference, but also always a good trip down memory lane.

I’ve got sealed power catalogs from 1988 1989. The TRW interchange in them does not show that number, nor does the piston to wall clearance chart list it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I took one and laid it in a open chamber or LS6 style chamber head and it swallowed the dome up to the top of the piston.

Was definitely a no go on the closed and semi closed heads from earlier.

Wonder if they where some kind of special order since they where for open chambers. 427Hp motors never came with open chamber heads as far as I know.

Check pin height. 427 and 454 had the same bore, but the stroke difference means the pin moved up in the piston.
LS7 maybe? GM part# on it anywhere?

I have some big dome 454 pistons laying around somewhere, but they have a GM # on em, and they're standards.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be for a Pontiac, they were a wedge head, & have side by side valve reliefs for the int & exh valve.

I have a couple of TRW catalogs & a Sealed Power, not in either.

A L2298 is a Ford 427 Piston.... I wonder if the L2297 might be a Ford 429 which is a canted valve engine similar to a BB Chevy

Ford 429 = 4.36" bore
Chevy 427 & 454 = 4.25" bore

Actually after some searching.. Probably not.... 429 piston..

M26066.jpg

Last edited:
L2295 is a 440 Mopar piston, the number sequence is not going to tell Us. None of My Sealed Power/NAPA/PAW catalogs back to '87 have that number listed, the only thing I forgot to check is the recently obsoleted parts list at the front of some of those that have them, when I get back to them I'll check. Did You get a piston skirt Dia. measurement off of them yet?

Back in california, checked my 88 trw catalog, no 2297.
However, 2287 is a gigantic dome rat piston for a 396. So that begs the question: what is the diameter of the piston you have? 4.124 for a +.030 396, or 4.280 for a +.030 427/454? (Minus piston to wall, of course). And what is the compression distance? 1.760 for a 396/427, or 1.645 for a 454?

Maybe for a Ford 429 Shotgun engine. Pretty rare engine & might explain why it is not in catalogs.

Can you post a picture of the entire dome? Depending on the shape, they could possibly work in closed chamber heads, too. I am putting together a big block right now with domed pistons and closed chamber heads. I am wondering if maybe they are not a custom piston. Customs would still have a part number, but not be listed in a catalog.

-
Back